Can this be repaired or writeoff ?

Write-off or Repairable ?

• Write-off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Repairable

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks,

I stupidly managed to make a mess of things last night :blush: I was just passing this junction, its one where you have to go left and swerve back right to avoid the bridge parapet, its a layout that can set you up for the odd idiot (this time the idiot was me :blush: ). A driver last night patiently waited and overtook on the old bridge. I gave him too much room and the thumbs up, stupidly clipping the high sharp kerb. I managed to skiff along it for a wee bit before going down and depositing a large bit of my skin on it :blush: Anyhow my front rim has got badly scraped but stayed true. I've got a heavier spare wheel off an old bike I can use just now but is the current wheel a write-off or can it be repaired, what do folk think ?
5932682739_e453a61da0_z.jpg

chris-s

If the wheel is still true and there is no structural damage it looks just like scuffing and scraping so I would just clean it up. Start with a fine file to take of the worst of the high bits then using progressively finer wet & dry paper, used wet with a drop of washing up liquid in the water, polish it up until you are happy with the finish.

Chris

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
If the wheel is still true and there is no structural damage it looks just like scuffing and scraping so I would just clean it up. Start with a fine file to take of the worst of the high bits then using progressively finer wet & dry paper, used wet with a drop of washing up liquid in the water, polish it up until you are happy with the finish.

Chris

+2 The tyre looks ok and the rim can easily be restored, with some time and care.

battered

Guru
I agree. Get the high points off, true the wheel, if it's solid and all that remains are scratches and scuffs, use it.

I agree. Get the high points off, true the wheel, if it's solid and all that remains are scratches and scuffs, use it.

Pump the tyre up to 50% over pressure (it'll be fine) and if the rim is going to go it will go then. If nothing happens, let it back down to normal pressure and you're done.

Others have suggested filing the rim etc but unless there are clear lumps of metal sticking out I would be inclined to just let the brake blocks polish it smooth in normal use. You risk removing too much material in the process if you go at it with a file.

02GF74

Über Member
All I can see is some minor scratches and nicks from kerbing; if the rim runs true and no has no detns as well as spokes being taut, then file down sharp edges at the rim edge so that the tyre side wall is protectd. Any marks on the braking surface will soon be polished out by the brake blocks.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Imho it is a complete write-off. Since it looks better than my best wheel can I have it? :biggrin:

I'd sand down as suggested - then keep an eye on your brake pads as they may pick up some unwanted metal over the next few rides and you don't want to be marking the rest of the rim

Top Bottom