Can this be true?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freakhatz

Not being a subscriber to the cycling press I may be out of touch with cutting edge developments but.. ..recently I was told in a bikeshop that cassettes would soon be available with 11, that's e-l-e-v-en, cogs. I mean, **** who would need that many?? So I think they were having a ****** laugh - I only wanted one with 9.. ..in fact 6 or 7 used to be fine and that's in the ******* Alps..

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
11 as well as electronic shifting, thats technology for you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There was an interesting thing on one of the Interbike podcasts - Campags product manager was being interviewed about the new super record group, and the 11 speed cassette is a spin off from weight saving, the way he described it.

Essentially they'd reduced the width of the chain and sprockets because techniques and materials allowed them to do so, but with the 130mm spacing that's standard on road bikes had the choice of adding a sprocket, or putting in a spacer. The way he tells it, the consensus was to go for a sprocket as the more useful option for riders at the sort of level where the Super Record equipment is a viable option.

Tynan

Veteran
I've got a ten speed, why not? either closer spacing or better range, makes sense to me

e-rider

crappy member
If it works well I don't see a problem; except gettting spares for older set-ups in the future - already a problem with Campagnolo 8 speed, but Shimano are fairly good at producing 'older' spares for 6,7,8 and 9 speed etc.

e-rider

crappy member
If you want to 'future-proof' your ride with the ever growing number of gears and compatability problems, Shimano is the best option - if you just want roadies to think you're cool go for campagnolo 11. The new DuraAce groupset looks very nice - especially the chainset - well out of my price range though!

Top Bottom