Can this bike be resurrected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Came under fire from a Turkish Leopard tank?

There is a good low temperature aluminium repair material that you sometimes see at classic motorcycle shows. The material that I am talking about is Swedish I think. The heat source is a butane gas torch so heat wise it is fairly low.
If I was doing it I would put a close fitting aluminium tube inside where the break is first before repairing it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would put a close fitting aluminium tube inside where the break is first before repairing it.
Like a repurposed seat post? Problem will be getting it down there past the bottle cage braze-ons.
I think the chances/cost of achieving a reliable yet reasonably aesthetic repair will be unachievable, despite the 'luv'.

That is a strange hole ! I just took a closer look. The material looks very thin there. It looks like it has been caused by flexing, but I would have thought that it would have occurred where the rivet nuts are fitted . Unless they have fitted a strengthening plate which has caused it to flex where the break is instead.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The LBS just didn't want to know.
what they mean is can’t be arrrsed
Very sensible bike shop - to say 'sorry, we couldn't/can't mend that'. But should have just said that as opposed to appealing to spurious legal authority, which @Drago immediately called out. It's not 'can't be arrrsed' it's 'cannot' (effect a repair).

subaqua

What’s the point
Very sensible bike shop - to say 'sorry, we couldn't/can't mend that'. But should have just said that as opposed to appealing to spurious legal authority, which @Drago immediately called out. It's not 'can't be arrrsed' it's 'cannot' (effect a repair).

Agreed . It’s the elf n sayftee comment that usually means can’t be arrrsed . Heard lots by lazy people to the unknowing . Say out right why you can’t . Don’t try and dress it up as something it isn’t

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Can't say there may not be more damage under the paint, this whole thing could be a bike shaped Trojan Horse just waiting to essplode and drop you on the road. I'd suggest replacing that frame pronto.

Top Bottom