Can Voeckler do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Be great if he can!
thumbsup.png

yello

I still think not! But I'd love for him to prove me wrong!

I think he stands a chance of hanging in there tomorrow but, to be honest, unless he can put it one helluva TT performance, I don't even see him finishing on the podium. Which would be a great great shame because he's shown himself to be a gutsy rider.

aberal

Guru
I have a sneaky suspicion the Schleck's are up to something. Arguably the second best climber in the world blowing up on a cat 2; all this high profile, ridiculous complaining that the TdF has descents in it??? I just don't buy it. I think Frank will put the hammer down on the first two climbs today and then Andy will put pressure on Galibier.

Not a bad call actually. OK, so you got the specifics wrong but your reading of the Schleck's wasn't far off. Stunning ride by Andy today is the truth of the matter - and good for TV for hanging on in there. So it wasn't today, but tomorrow will be his last day in yellow, sadly. I think....
unsure.gif

I still think not! But I'd love for him to prove me wrong!

I think he stands a chance of hanging in there tomorrow but, to be honest, unless he can put it one helluva TT performance, I don't even see him finishing on the podium. Which would be a great great shame because he's shown himself to be a gutsy rider.

+1

Well he's proved he's prepared to pull himself inside out and when it comes down to it, suffering is a large part TT'ing. I really hope he manages a podium place.

yello

Seems the fairy tale is over now. Poor bloke looks cooked.

Chapeau Thomas. You've put up one helluva fight.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Can he still get a podium place, I reckon he could.

Unlikely given that he time trials like a whale.

Fiona N

Veteran
In the Dauphine he was only 3 minutes down on Tony Martin and Bradley - but I guess the Schlecks will have plenty of motivation tomorrow to up their game :tongue:

Actually it's going to be really interesting to see how the times compare to the Dauphine - winning time in June 55'27" by Tony Martin. I wonder if anyone will get close to that with 3 weeks and the recent Alps in their legs? I'd like to see Cadel Evans do as well as him did then - 56.47 - as I can't see the Schlecks getting close to that on this hard course.

monnet

Guru
He showed yesterday he can, contrary to popular belief (and regular demonstrations), descend pretty well. Last year he only lost 30 seconds in windy conditions to Contador (over 6 minutes to Fab, but there you go). ANd being in yellow and knowing the exact time gaps will surely weigh in his favour.

As for TV, superb stuff again. ALthough I'm not sure about shouting 'putain' at the spectators on Dutch corner was entirely right, he may have misunderstood them. Battling stuff and reward for the ever faithful Rolland.

yello

I'm not sure about shouting 'putain' at the spectators on Dutch corner was entirely right

Could have just been adrenaline! He was pretty pumped up, if the bidon throwing is anything to go by.

Besides, after some of the antics of some of the spectators, I'm not going to loose any sleep over a rider hurling abuse at them! I realise that that's tarring with the same brush but I'll risk that sweeping statement! Contador thumped one, Prudhomme was pretty vocal at others... I don't really want to see the mania of the tifosi on the TdF but I'm not entirely sure - realistically - what can be done. It's self policing that's required. Tbh though, I do fear for an incident. There's some nutters out there and they do get very very close to the riders.

Top Bottom