Can we do adventurous cycle rides without them been for charity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Gets to me how sports are infiltrated by charities. I run and it’s difficult to find any race thats not got some charity aspect. A sporting event gets started by ‘athletes’ gets popular and soon becomes an expensive charity event.
Then you turn up at club AGMs and find that they’ve raised 100’s for for charity over the year. That race you paid entry for... it wasn’t for club funds. The race could have been cheaper. Club subs could have been less.
Personally l do give to charity, my charities. I chose. I’m doing a sponsored swim in a couple of months. I’m not asking others for cash. I’m going to make a personal donation and if anyone asks I tell them “If you want to sponsor me, next time you see a collector - donate”

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am happy to give to charity but I object to giving money to someone who has a longing to ride around the world in the guise of a charity ride. If I want to go on a long adventure ride, I will pay for it myself out of my own pocket. Any money given to me would go to charity.

Difficult to prove though.

Steve

Speedywheelsjeans

I find some of these sportives can have high entry fees.. I think some of them need to set more realistic sponsorship goals and entry prices.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
A bit later on I am going to cycle over to my friends house a couple of miles away and next week I will be cycling into town a few times and generally cycling around the place. It would be super if I could make it all count for somthing so I am collecting sponsership from people and would invite anybody to donate to some worty causes (as yet to be decided). All the money will go to charity except for the small amount that I will absolutely have to take out to cover my expenses. Apples to keep me going, wear and tear on the bike (I will obviously be needing a new set of Marathon+ and perhaps a new bike) There is every chance that my expenses may well exceed the sponsorship I am able to raise but such is my commitment that I am going to forge ahead anyway for the sake of the children (or whoever). I can always come back to my sponsers after the fact and insist that they cough up some more cash or else let the puppies/kittens/dry stone walls starve. This might not be agreeable to some people but don't worry. If I don't raise enough to cover costs I can always just bill the charities for the difference, after all I'm doing this for them they could at least make sure it doesn't cost me money.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm about to do one for charity, but it'll be the 3 Coast to Coast rides, 3 Peaks of Yorkshire and the 3 Peaks in 24 hours national challenge. I'm covering all the costs myself.

I figured since the latter was a sponsored event I might as well lump them all together!

I organised a C2C ride two years ago and 37 of us from work did it over 2 days.
We agreed to raise for the company's designated charity and our employer agreed to pay half the transport to Workington and we paid the rest.
Including accommodation, food and extras for the ride it cost us each between £150 and £200 each.
In total we raised over £4000 for charity voluntarily.

Last year and this year, our in- house cycle club organised it and the MINIMUM you have to raise is £300 as well as pay for your accommodation food and extras.

As my wife says, she runs because she wants to, not for fn charity.
This country is now ridiculous where you are frowned upon if not scorned for NOT raising money for charity!
to me it as taken a lot of the fun away.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I organise several audax events in May and June, and one charity ride in September. The charity ride is the shortest and easiest, though still a challenge for many.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well it is a good job some people do ride for charity and take the time to get sponsored, as without it there would be more suffering in the world.

Well it is a good job some people do ride for charity and take the time to get sponsored, as without it there would be more suffering in the world.
I don't think this is true. Charitable sporting events are a big thing amongst adults in the UK, the same is not true in Australia or the US, yet they give proportionately more money than the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/charitable-giving-country

And I wonder if all the effort training and running marathons etc for charities would do more good working for the charities directly.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My event charges a tenner and directs anyone who wants to raise sponsorship to the just-giving page. The tenner, minus the Paypal fee, goes to Hospiscare. I'd feel a fraud paying myself for running such an event.

jay clock

Massive member
whatever the charity event, it has to be a challenge that needs you to put yourself out, stretch yourself etc. I asked for sponsorship for my first Ironman, but next one definitely not

djmc

Über Member
I live in Brittany. The local sportive events are organised for charity. There are several for cystic fibrosis. The nearest, the Kerné is for the local children's hospital. The cost of the event is sponsored by local businesses. The takings for the event (perhaps 15 euros) go to the charity. One is given a receipt for the cost which can be offset against tax. Some of the events are enormous. The Pierre le Bigaud run at Callac normally has 6000 riders (distances from 150 to 30 kilometres) plus there are walkers as well. The roads are closed, there are police and ambulance assistance. Food and entertainment is provided during and after the event. It provides money for mucoviscidosis (cystic fibrosis). It seems to me to be an excellent way to raise money for charity and also to raise the profile of cycling. There are prizes for the fastest, but even the slowest are cheered and the are lots of families. At the end every one gets a present. I have several T-shirts and a gilet. I have ridden and volunteered for other similar events. The idea of having to raise money from ones friends to be able to ride is not even considered.

Top Bottom