Can Weights Replace Bike Miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pho...hit-the-gym-ahead-of-team-presentation/248532

Can people stop being so arrogantly minded in what is an open ended debate? Some pros advocate weights, some don't. Some coaches do, some don't, some papers do, some don't. Go figure. I don't believe they supplement training all that much - but they are better than nothing, however the jury is still out there on this one. Yes you are all putting forward valid points towards the argument, but these points are often being put across is a nobber fashion. If you're going to be arrogant, have something to be arrogant about, getting a top ten finish once or twice in a cat 4 race doesn't cut it.

If you're going to be arrogant, have something to be arrogant about, getting a top ten finish once or twice in a cat 4 race doesn't cut it.

There's a lot of irony there - and surely you can do better than Albert Timmer?. Incidentally, who's a 4th cat..?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Has anyone actually considered reasons why a pro might be in a gym? ( I guess not as this shoot crops up all too often)

I'd imagine it's nothing to do with rehab of injuries, ironing out imbalances/postural issues/niggles/tightness/stretching :whistle:

No it can never be related to any of that. Wiggo hit the gym post '11 collarbone break, therefore it must work right?

Oh wait..He was there for rehab:laugh:

Team Sky also hired a swimming coach. I bet Cav and Froomy had lots of fun in the kiddie pool with their armbands on.

Dave B reportedly got told off for bombing

So swimming is really good for cycling, It completely removes any use of your legs and thus will increase vo2max,recovery time and chickmagnet factor. Yeah! should train like a swimmer now

This post is only partially factually correct.

Graham

You are overgeared - if you use a low enough gear then strength doesn't come into it! Top pro climber Contador doesn't have massive legs - he uses low gears on the steep stuff.

Hmm, yes I see where you're coming from. I prefer your answer to B&Y's ^_^

Rob3rt, at the risk of winding you up any further, what is 'MAX YOUR PUMP' ? Sounds like the strap line to an 80's VHS spandex work-out.

I'm sure I can, in the very same album. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pho...hit-the-gym-ahead-of-team-presentation/248511
4th cat, 3rd cat, pussy cat, same thing

So your best argument for weights is that two blokes from Argos Shimano do them (one of whom is a sprinter)...?

Hmm, yes I see where you're coming from. I prefer your answer to B&Y's ^_^

I knew you would.

Rob3rt, at the risk of winding you up any further, what is 'MAX YOUR PUMP' ? Sounds like the strap line to an 80's VHS spandex work-out.

I think Robert is taking the pi55... and you may have missed it...:smile:

Graham

I can also play the 'I've only got a compact double' and 'can't afford to replace it with a triple' cards. Boo hoo.

I think I'm still missing it.

montage

God Almighty
So your best argument for weights is that two blokes from Argos Shimano do them (one of whom is a sprinter)...?

No.....
...I'm pointing out that you calling other people's posts nonsense whilst offering no credentials yourself is irritating. Much of the stuff you say is good advice, but you put your point of view across like a nobber. Put your advice forward without feeling the need to belittle others, and please offer your corrections more delicately.

No.....
...I'm pointing out that you calling other people's posts nonsense whilst offering no credentials yourself is irritating. Much of the stuff you say is good advice, but you put your point of view across like a nobber. Put your advice forward without feeling the need to belittle others, and please offer your corrections more delicately.

I can call it nonsense because it is. All someone has to do in order to correct me is come up with some proof that what i am saying is bollox. It is up to those claiming that weights make a difference to prove it (I'll give you a clue though - there is no published scientific evidence to support that). Instead, the best that most people can come up with is meaningless anecdotes like 'it worked for me' or 'the pros do it' (although most of them don't - so read into that what you will).

I'll leave the 'nobber' thing to children though....incidentally - by your own definition of the word, you calling me a 'nobber' also makes you a 'nobber'.. :smile:

I can call it nonsense because it is. All someone has to do in order to correct me is come up with some proof that what i am saying is bollox. It is up to those claiming that weights make a difference to prove that it does (I'll give you a clue though - there is no published scientific evidence that it does work). The trouble is that the best that most people can come up with is meaningless anecdotes like 'it worked for me' or 'the pros do it' (although most of them don't - so read into that what you will).

Well you can't spell for one - I never trust the advice of people that can't spell (incidentally the same approach is also appropriate for internet dating!) :thumbsup:

Incidentally science never "proves" anything, it merely proffers a selection of studies that either support or refute a hypothesis leaving the reader to make their own mind up . . . . :whistle:

Well you can't spell for one - I never trust the advice of people that can't spell (incidentally the same approach is also appropriate for internet dating!) :thumbsup:

that's a relief then....

Incidentally science never "proves" anything, it merely proffers a selection of studies that either support or refute a hypothesis leaving the reader to make their own mind up . . . . :whistle:

Same difference - the burden of proof is still on those claiming that weights improve ECP.

Top Bottom