Can Weights Replace Bike Miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In a nutshell, no.

It can complement your bike training quite noticeably, but alone is not going to maintain or enhance your cycling performance.

Like I said in the other thread Des..

The rationale for Strength Training is that whilst cycling is an endurance sport it also requires strength to power the pedals. It has been shown that resistance training builds strength and that increased strength also helps to build endurance.

Sorry Des - that's utter nonsense. Leg strength is not a limiter in endurance cycling.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I was always a believer in strength training. With sufficient load to cause adaptation, not the 30-50 rep stuff with low weights. I later found Alberto Salazar does this with Mo Farah of all people. http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2012/12/alberto-salazar-2/
Now Mo is one of the lightest skiniest blokes around and he can fly. So if he is doing strength work with weights with a significant load for his build. I think there is something in this for cyclists too.

Now Mo is one of the lightest skiniest blokes around and he can fly. So if he is doing strength work with weights with a significant load for his build. I think there is something in this for cyclists too.

Distance running and endurance cycling might sound similar - but they're not.

Graham

I reckon I could do with a bit more pure strength in my legs (which weights would give me but I haven't got time). Reason: I'm OK on average hills but struggle on the really brutal stuff so could do with a bit more leg power. However, I'd doubt whether weights would help a great deal with endurance, for which miles on the bike seem to be the only answer. I do a bit of running when I'm not riding and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon I could do with a bit more pure strength in my legs (which weights would give me but I haven't got time). Reason: I'm OK on average hills but struggle on the really brutal stuff so could do with a bit more leg power.
You are overgeared - if you use a low enough gear then strength doesn't come into it! Top pro climber Contador doesn't have massive legs - he uses low gears on the steep stuff.

I reckon I could do with a bit more pure strength in my legs (which weights would give me but I haven't got time). Reason: I'm OK on average hills but struggle on the really brutal stuff so could do with a bit more leg power. However, I'd doubt whether weights would help a great deal with endurance, for which miles on the bike seem to be the only answer. I do a bit of running when I'm not riding and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

As Colin says - strength ain't got nowt to do with it. What you lack is sufficient aerobic fitness and a decent threshold.

Drago

Legendary Member
Weights can help quite markedly with endurance, but without miles in the saddle as well its not really going to come to much. The former can complement the latter but not really replace it.

Top Bottom