Can you be too light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Since leaving a stressful job where I ate/slept at weird times I lost a couple of stone. I have lost even more now that I am cycling regularly, however, I had two neighbours pass comment yesterday when I was walking the dog on how much weight I had lost and sounding a bit concerned that I was too thin.

Is there a diminishing benefit for cycling if your weight goes too low?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
IMO Maybe a trip to the doctors would be better than an answer on here

OP
OP
Mo1959

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I feel ill or anything. I am only just over 5' 3" and 8 stone 6 so probably pretty much spot on. I was more curious re the whole power to weight ratio and whether being too light could end up working against you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Since leaving a stressful job where I ate/slept at weird times I lost a couple of stone. I have lost even more now that I am cycling regularly, however, I had two neighbours pass comment yesterday when I was walking the dog on how much weight I had lost and sounding a bit concerned that I was too thin.

Is there a diminishing benefit for cycling if your weight goes too low?

Yes.

Essentially it is about trying to strike a balance between raw power and power to weight ratio, in order to excel at the type of cycling you choose.

If you get lighter and gain power. This is a perfect scenario, you gained all round!

If you get lighter and maintain power, this is the next best thing, you didn't give anything up (you maintained) and you gained in terms of power to weight ratio.

If you get lighter, the reality is you may lose some raw power, if the drop in weight is such that despite the loss in power causes an increase in your power to weight ratio, this is a reasonably good scenario in many cases (not in all, because some types of riding and terrain will benefit more from a higher raw power than a high power to weight ratio). You gave up raw power, but made a gain elsewhere.

If you get lighter and loose some raw power, if the drop in weight is cancelled out by the drop in power, such that your power to weight ratio remains the same, then this is none ideal, you have actually sacrificed raw power for no gain in terms of power to weight ratio, you gave something up and got nothing back.

If you get lighter and loose substantial amounts of power, the drop in weight won't cancel out the drop in raw power, both power to weight ratio and raw power figures will decline, if this happens, you really have mucked up!

The reason for declining power with losing weight is not always loss of muscle mass either, it can be attributed to many things, such as insufficient nutrition contributing to poor recovery.

So to summarise Mo, you may be losing some power which may greatly effect your racing career. ;)

Or your Strava times. :laugh:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
..............or, as in the original post someone is concerned about their weight being too low?

Sounded more like a general question than an expression of concern to me. Mo further clarified this as being her intended motivation for posting immediately after the 1st response to the thread.

simon.r

Person
I read something on t'nterweb recently that said when friends/family started to get concerned that you were looking like you had a serious illness then you were getting close to your 'racing weight':biggrin:

^ This sounds about right in my personal experience. When I hit the weight I feel most comfortable at I get told that I'm looking too thin, but I feel at my best!

My theory is that we're all so used to seeing people who are overweight that when we see someone who isn't we tend to think they're too thin^_^ .

Top Bottom