Can you bunny hop a road/hybrid bike?

Can you bunny hop a road/hybrid bike?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
in normal riding, I cannot think of a single occasion where it would have been useful. I don't ride on footpaths.

Think riding over cobbled speed humps on a downhill road

VamP

Banned
its usually not a proper bunny hop if you do it clipless...teaches bad technique and habit, as i know all too well when i occassionally put on flat pedals on my mtb, i keep trying to do it the lazy way and my feet keep leaving the pedals :biggrin:

Tru dat

It's hard to not do it clipless though if all your bikes have clipless pedals^_^, you have to unclip right leg, then left leg, then bunnyhop using proper technique, taking care not to flip your pedals over on landing, then clip back in both legs... sometimes it's almost not worth the hassle ;)

Jonathing

Über Member
I can (usually) bunny hop the cobbled speed humps in a few of the villages around here on my road bike. I've been trying to bunny hop my fixed, for sh!ts and giggles but I can't manage it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At the risk of sounding dumb...How do you bunny hop??
Like this ...

I find it so instinctive now that I couldn't quite think how to describe it, I just do it when I need to.

A friend of mine who lives in Tenerife just emailed me and told me that he was doing a high speed descent on an unfamiliar road last week when he hit a steel drainage channel and punctured front and rear and buckled both wheels. That's exactly the kind of situation where a well-timed bunny hop can save you and your bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They tend to be a more direct route from A to B when I'm in a rush.
I can see the sense in that, but for leisure riding I'd always seek alternatives.

I ride A-roads myself when I have to and some of them are not too bad. The A6033 between Hebden Bridge and Oxenhope is a nice long climb and descent with great views. It's not so good when lots of people are driving in a hurry to or from work though.

It's really not hard (with clipless).

Another question is how high?

In cyclocross, elite riders bunnyhop 16 inch barriers (ususally as a combo of two, about 12 feet apart.) At speed. Now that is hard.
Yes and No to the OP. I don't think I could do it with flat pedals but as you say its not really hard with clipless. That said I probably couldn't get that high its only really a spur of the moment think for me when a pothole comes up; my mate on the other hand is good at it :becool:

Top Bottom