Can you class using an Electric bike as cycling

Would you regard using an electric bike as cycing ?

• Yes

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 23.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
From my observations walking up the local trailway cycleway ( route 25 ) electric bikes are becoming ever more popular.
I often see large groups out for a jaunt, they are often a mix of bike types including electric.
I've noticed that it is really easy to spot someone on an electric bike, even in the far distance. There is a certain smoothness and regularity to the pedalling action coupled with a more upright posture.

D

Deleted member 26715

Funny you should say that, we were coming home yesterday & just as we approached the brow of a hill a e-bike & of course the rider came over the brow, his steady stroking gave away the fact it was an e-bike. Normally we see the same guy pushing his bike up the hill, looks like he's treat himself.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
From my observations walking up the local trailway cycleway ( route 25 ) electric bikes are becoming ever more popular.
I often see large groups out for a jaunt, they are often a mix of bike types including electric.
I've noticed that it is really easy to spot someone on an electric bike, even in the far distance. There is a certain smoothness and regularity to the pedalling action coupled with a more upright posture.
Depends on the bike - my eroad is set up to be exactly the same fit as my conventional bikes, so my position is very much the same.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Of course you can "class using an Electric bike as cycling"

It is far too easy to generalise and class people on 'pedal assisted bikes' as "lazy/idol/fat/cheats" etc etc and as with all things
you are going to find some subjects who fit this description. But never forget these are 'pedal assisted bikes' and by their very nature and indeed their
description they need human input. Now in my eyes no exercise is wasted exercise so many of those people on pedal assisted bikes would not be
cycling at all if the only choice they had was a normal bike. Good for them I say, there is room for everyone. If your KOM best time on Strava is likely
to be eclipsed and your thinking it may be by someone on a 'e' bike then tough. Strava is open to all sorts of abuse so compete against your own PR's
and do not worry about what other riders are doing.

johnbot1

I decided to buy my ebike when my knees started to play up, at 77 I’d thought of packing my cycling days up altogether but then I decided to sell my trusty 20 year old Raleigh and put the money towards the only ebike I could afford a Viking Freedom Power assist sub £1000 ebike, I bought a spare battery and pack it into my rear pannier and regularly do 40 - 50 miles with a change of battery half way through my ride, I admit my ebike is heavy with my weight and spare battery but I enjoy just riding steadily getting the exercise I need with the power assist pedalling I enjoy the countryside arriving at any random pub about hallway through my day to enjoy a pint and a packet of crisps no reason why I shouldn’t keep on until I’m well into my 80s, I’ve had my ebike since June 2018 and cycled about 1500 miles and only run out of battery power once about 3 miles from home but managed my heavy ebike with no problems, so my thoughts are if it helps you to still get out and about buy a Power Assist ebike and keep pedalling.

As a lad I had a moped, and you could not have cycled that far as far too low geared, a Honda P50 the pedals were used to start it and for steep hills only, and the 80 miles I would ride Shotton to Tywyn I could not consider doing on a push bike and work when I had arrived.

The wife's electric bike is very different, one it is slower the gears mean 18 MPH is about the fastest you can petal it, although free wheel down hill had 31 MPH, and two you have to pedal it can not be used any other way, and with assist off it is still usable.

So typical trip Shotton to Bryn-y-baal I would do on a normal bike in one hour 20 minutes, most of the time 4 MPH as up hill, and on arrival I am good for nothing, electric same route 45 minutes, and I can mow lawn when I arrive, the reverse journey same time both bikes and around same energy used.

Now Shotton to Chester and back, on the flat, very little in it between electric and standard unless a head wind, and in the main the electric does not assist as over cut off speed. I note the battery hardly is discharged after that route, but to Bryn-y-baal I have used a 1/4 of the battery, for just 7 miles.

At 250 watt on the Wirral cycle tracks I am not far behind my wife, and up the hills only doing 6 to 8 MPH not charging up at 15.5 MPH, it still needs some effort, but means I am going fast enough to balance. And I do when I have tried it switch off the assist for flat and down hill sections. I am aware the battery is 400 Wh and once flat that's it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm restricting jobs I apply for to be within commuting range on the Bike of Sparks :biggrin:
Which effectively means Hitchin, Letchworth or Baldock, or anywhere else that's about 9 miles from DoctorTowers.
I'm perfectly capable of cycling that far, but I need to cycle that far and not have to get changed / washed on arrival.

Top Bottom