Can you class using an Electric bike as cycling

Would you regard using an electric bike as cycing ?

• Yes

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 23.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
They are a difficult, nay almost impossible thing to consider using personally when you have age, fitness and health on your side and everything is working...why would you ? That's what I'd have thought 5 or so years ago. Not that I had any negative thoughts about them, it just wasn't relative to my life and fitness then.
Now, 60, still reasonably fit but a damaged lung, considerable time off the bike because of it and a change in motivation because of that makes an ebike a very attractive proposition.
You also need to break down what kind of ebike we're talking about. Assist or throttle type. Assist you truly are cycling, the pedalec article confirms what I find with mine...my 14 mile commute is certainly not a free ride, you work, but undeniably it's easier...but it's a game changer on how you arrive at work, sweating cobs or ready to go on an ebike...but still with legs that know they've done a few miles. A throttle only bike is not cycling in most people's eyes I suspect.
Again with the pedelecs article, they were surprised at the effort used...no surprise really IIME, if you can ride at 15.5 mph or above, the motor becomes irrelevant. I can reasonably push along at 16mph on a 23 kilo hybrid and at that point, there is no assist. The weight of the bike means you she'd speed faster on inclines etc....

Yes they're easier, but it's still cycling.
I notice this thread was started in 2009 I think....i suspect attitudes have changed a lot in that time.

Last edited:

beepbeep

I have one plus several ''standard'' cycles from MTB'S to lightweight carbon road...and I enjoy all of them ...

mustang1

Guru
If you are driving a car with radar cruise and lane keeping assist, can you class that as driving.

Ditto pilots with auto pilot, or ship captains, train drivers, and so on .

Smudge

Veteran
Any ebike where the pedals have to be turned is cycling, just cycling with a little help.
I dont consider throttle only ebikes cycling, neither do i the stupidly powerful ebikes that go way above the 15.5 mph cut off. I consider these electric motorcycles.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Any ebike where the pedals have to be turned is cycling, just cycling with a little help.
I dont consider throttle only ebikes cycling, neither do i the stupidly powerful ebikes that go way above the 15.5 mph cut off. I consider these electric motorcycles.

Yes, as above.
For Gods sake those who say no... how else are you going to get cycling into a means of normalised transport?
It sure isnt at the moment with all musthave helmet, musthave hiviz etc etc etc that puts off the very people you want out of their cars.
Google Cycling in Copenhagen Oh GOOD GOD , they are all in normal clothes... how can this be? sacastic mode off///

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5455544, member: 9609"]NO - and it has to have a gear stick (pref crash box)[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. If all you have to do is sit there you become a steering wheel attendant, not a driver. Being at the helm of anything with a non-synchromesh gearbox is most definitely real driving. You have to concentrate on what you are doing and get your co-ordination and timing right.
As for e-bikes, the most diplomatic thing you can say is it's cycling Jim, but not as we know it! :laugh:

Reactions: gbb

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I apparently voted 'no' - 9 years ago! Little did I know then …… my cycling now has become limited by clogged and clogging arteries in my groin, thighs and calves, 2 slow miles before the pain sets in, even on my 7.5kg carbon Rose. However ..... the Orbea Gain gives me the help I need to be able cycle further and to ride with the club group again - and as said above - above 15.5 mph you can get quite a workout if you want. So as far as I'm concerned I'm still a cyclist :okay:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I definitely get a better work out on the ebike, I can ride a lot of the routes I wouldn’t normally take on the defy.
The anti ebike fellows will change there minds in years to come:eek::eek:.

PK99

Legendary Member
If they could be "ridden without any physical effort", I'd have to agree that it's not cycling. But, these new "Electric Assist" bikes won't do ANYTHING if you don't pedal. They only assist. You MUST PEDAL them.

Apart from the many I see that have been frigged to go at speed without pedalling

Smudge

Veteran
I apparently voted 'no' - 9 years ago! Little did I know then …… my cycling now has become limited by clogged and clogging arteries in my groin, thighs and calves, 2 slow miles before the pain sets in, even on my 7.5kg carbon Rose. However ..... the Orbea Gain gives me the help I need to be able cycle further and to ride with the club group again - and as said above - above 15.5 mph you can get quite a workout if you want. So as far as I'm concerned I'm still a cyclist :okay:

Yes, its amazing how you get more of an understanding of something when you need it yourself.
10/15 years ago, i probably wouldn't have 'got' ebikes at all.

EMBN on the 28th November, Will e-bikes replace mtbs?

Yes the article leans towards mountain biking however just remember, that's where disc brakes crossed from.

Good channel to watch even if your not into mountain bikes.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
i am perfectly able club standard rider who uses an ebike almost daily.
originaly i converted my BSO pub bike as an E.commuter so i would not be the zelot who cycles to work only to arrive hot and sweaty after the 12% climb at the end of my regular journey. Over time it has become my main form of transport and now i use it for most local shopping and errand trips that i used to use the car for.
in some respects i dont consider using it as cycling and i dont count any of the 2000 miles i have done on it as cycling miles because the motor provides enough help to go anywhere without any consideration of weight carried or hills to be ridden up.
however apart from the lack of physical effort i still have to endure all the other cycling downsides (traffic, abuse, cold rain ect) while i am out on it.

so i just dont know.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I use mine for a 7 mile commute. It's a smidge faster - 20 minutes on the ebike, rather than 25 on the Ribble.
The saving is not spending 15 mins getting washed and changed when I get to work.
That's the reason I have just ordered an ebike conversion for my hybrid - its usual use is a >15 min journey to work which is stupidly U shaped - pointless attempting to cycle in warm/hot weather as the time taken for the journey plus necessary shower / change of kit is longer than the walking time

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's the reason I have just ordered an ebike conversion for my hybrid - its usual use is a >15 min journey to work which is stupidly U shaped - pointless attempting to cycle in warm/hot weather as the time taken for the journey plus necessary shower / change of kit is longer than the walking time
Why not just walk then?

Top Bottom