Can you class using an Electric bike as cycling

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by very-near, 16 Mar 2009.

?
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. kcflyer1957

kcflyer1957 Regular

I agree 100%...with the caveat of riding a pedal assist e-bike. I work out just as hard on my e-bike as I did on my 'real' bike, I just go a bit faster. At the bike shop here, they told me that "you'll never come out of eco mode unless you want to show off"...they were right. Of course, I am in the US where the limit is 28 mph (45 kph) and yes, in power mode on the Road E, 28 mph about right. Uphill. Kind of a thrill...but when you talk about pedal assist I'd have to agree....don't knock it til you've tried it.

2. PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

Thanks Kcflyer. I think some cyclist like to think that unless your clad in lycra and ride an expensive carbon framed super bike, that cost a the earth, you're not part of the inner circle.
    I on the other hand don't look good in lycra, and ride (using the pedals) my brick of an ebike up and down dale to my hearts content. I've even got a sweat on and had wobbly legs after some of my rides. So I must be exerting some energy, just like a real cyclist. 20170919_123652.jpg

K4Trv, tyred, Goggs and 9 others like this.
  3. Phil Fouracre

Phil Fouracre Senior Member

Oh! For crying out loud! Not another 'I'm a really superior person' post! Who cares what you think about what someone else chooses to ride.

4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

As you can see above there are plenty of people who don't think that at all.

K4Trv, Pat "5mph", sight-pin and 4 others like this.
  5. Phil Fouracre

Phil Fouracre Senior Member

Not really having a moan Just get a bit fed up with constant regurgitation of unfair stereotypes - it shouldn't be allowed, it's cheating, it's for old/sick people etc etc

6. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

I'm getting on a bit but still enjoy challenging myself when cycling, and can still do long distances including hilly rides so for the time being will stick with non-electric bikes.

I hired an e-bike for a morning on holiday in Italy and loved it so will have no hesitation in getting one in the future if it means I can still enjoy the types of ride I do now when I am probably less fit and healthy.

I will still be a cyclist and, with all due respect, bollux to any cyclist who might look down their nose at my choice of bike.

K4Trv, sight-pin, plantfit and 3 others like this.
  7. kcflyer1957

kcflyer1957 Regular

Actually....I ride an e-bike AND I wear lycra. The two are not mutually exclusive.

JhnBssll and queasyrider like this.
  8. whiteturbo

whiteturbo Regular

Of course its cycling, especially if it doesn't have a throttle, I have a Montague Navigator, a normal bicycle, but with a DIY bafang 250 watt electric motor added, it can be ridden without the battery(hard work though) but at nearly 69 and a little bit overweight it gets me out in the fresh air and i can tell you it doesn't ride itself as it needs you to pedal, and yes i get knackered after a few hours but i am cycling up hills that i could never climb without help, its like having Chris Frome to help you when the going gets tough. I do admit i only ride my ebike in fine weather, but that is an age thing.

K4Trv, Pat "5mph", Pale Rider and 3 others like this.
  9. Mine used to have a throttle and what great fun it was as well.^_^

10. byegad

byegad Guru

It depends.

Some friends have motorised their recumbent trikes, as they are well past 70 they felt the need for some aid up hills. They only use the electric power on hills and are certainly still cyclists.

A guy used to regularly pass me on a folder style electric bike. He never pedalled, dressed like an old time motorcyclist and carried a guitar in a case over his bike. He's not a cyclist!

raleighnut likes this.
  11. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

View: https://youtu.be/HIhfwjWuj-I

9kw E-Bike looks good when its on a throttle :laugh: Skip to 11.08 for the full 9kw money shot

12. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

14. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

Really? Free Electric Bikes? Pollution free electrickery? (not having a pop at you ian, obvs, just raising an eyebrow in the direction of the article)

15. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Weird I got a notification you'd replied to me on this...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice