Can you class using an Electric bike as cycling

Would you regard using an electric bike as cycing ?

• Yes

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 23.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not really having a moan Just get a bit fed up with constant regurgitation of unfair stereotypes - it shouldn't be allowed, it's cheating, it's for old/sick people etc etc

whiteturbo

Regular
Of course its cycling, especially if it doesn't have a throttle, I have a Montague Navigator, a normal bicycle, but with a DIY bafang 250 watt electric motor added, it can be ridden without the battery(hard work though) but at nearly 69 and a little bit overweight it gets me out in the fresh air and i can tell you it doesn't ride itself as it needs you to pedal, and yes i get knackered after a few hours but i am cycling up hills that i could never climb without help, its like having Chris Frome to help you when the going gets tough. I do admit i only ride my ebike in fine weather, but that is an age thing.

byegad

Legendary Member
It depends.

Some friends have motorised their recumbent trikes, as they are well past 70 they felt the need for some aid up hills. They only use the electric power on hills and are certainly still cyclists.

A guy used to regularly pass me on a folder style electric bike. He never pedalled, dressed like an old time motorcyclist and carried a guitar in a case over his bike. He's not a cyclist!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From today's Guardian

Don't call me a cheat

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 5135609, member: 259"]Weird I got a notification you'd replied to me on this...[/QUOTE]
Well, your avatar has blue in it. @ianrauk's is blue. An easy mistake for the Cyclechat Electronic Brane to make.

bikeman84

I don't class mine as a bike, I class it as a scooter because it has no pedals.
I only bought it for messing about on locally down the promenade and its a lot of fun for only £200.

Top Bottom