Can you cycle no handed ?

• Yes

Votes: 169 70.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • Only on a turbo ;-)

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
On the Criteriun de Dauphine recently it was very hot and understandably riders had there jerseys unzipped, stage winners get big cuddles from their sponsors so obviously the name on the front of the unzipped jersey should be shown. A Katusha rider was told to zip up, which he did hands off at about 75 mph - how do they do that?

At the risk of spoiling a nice thread with too much science the thing that stops you falling off your bike is the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels. This effect increases as the rpm of the wheels increases. So you become more stable (and thus less likely to fall off) the faster you go so riding with no hands becomes easier the faster you are going.

Must remember the next time I'm doing 50mph down Holme Moss.....this is the time to unpack the sandwiches from the back pocket

MikeG

Guru
........hands off at about 75 mph.......

Kph?

Cycling no handed produced one of the funniest comedy offs I have ever witnessed, many moons ago while still an apprentice, riding to work one cold frosty morning, my mate who had no gloves, rode a good few miles with his hands snuggly in his jacket pockets, until negotiating a large roundabout, his foot slipped off the pedal, resulting in a full somersault with 1 1/2 twists, miraculously he was relatively unscathed! Still makes me chuckle nearly 40 years later:rofl:

Matt1243

Regular
Only when I'm listening to YMCA full blast in my head phones, or if I'm going past another roadie when I'm coasting and looking super cool

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I too used to do it all time, corners hills etc etc. A couple of years ago I tried to relearn how to do it. I did manage to do about two pedal turns before bottling it and putting my hands back on the bars. To be honest I'd rather stop to zip up or put a jacket on rather than risk a broken bone from crashing stupidly.

rovers1875

Veteran
Yes and go round corners. Can't wait till they invent wireless braking, then I can ditch the bars.

Yep, I can ride no handed. I find it easy on my road bike and mtb, not quite so easy on my fat bike. One thing I have noticed is that I have to adopt a slightly different posture/position on my road bike in order to ride no handed than I do when on my mtb & fat bike. One thing I can do on my fat bike that I can't do on the others is change gear whilst cycling no handed.

MikeeV

Regular
Haven't gone no handed since I was 14 then naturally found myself doing it the other day whilst trying to enjoy the view at top of a hill. Brought a big smile to my face, but don't know whether I 'd be brave/stupid enough to do it on a main toad.

Retribution03

I can and I can even do it going round corners this isn't me being reckless now it's something I first learned to do in my youth when yes I was reckless lol

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Yes. And for some distance centre too. Including navigating sharp corners etc.

Though, I guess, being able to ride a unicycle too helped me out a bit.

Although I don't really do it. Maybe of something required two hands and it'd faster then stopping, and it's safe..

Top Bottom