Can you get a good road bike for £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
It is entirely possible to pick up a really nice quality, albeit dated, road bike for £100 or less. I got a lovely late 80's raleigh with 105 kit (old - downtube shifters etc.) on a 531 frame for £40. You just have to take a bit of time looking and you need to know what you're looking for/at (or get advice on here!).

The advantage is that, if you find something with good quality kit on then chances are it will last loads longer (the equipment etc. in terms of reliability) and be just as quick as an entry level bike you could buy new.

If you can up your budget ? Halfords are doing the Carrera Vituosa for £299 which got fantastic reviews in Cycling plus

Sometimes it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time ... i recently picked up a Ridgeback Panorama touring bike for a £100 donation to the RSPB the bike is in fantastic condition and if i had to buy the same bike new today it would cost me £1200.00

Simon

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi MrMonster. Putting slick tyres on your MTB will make it a lot faster (I did it last year with my £130 Rockrider)

I'll vouch for the Michelin Cities (the prices on CRC are for single tyres, so you should get 2). I have them on my bike at the moment and they roll nicely and go quite fast. The knobbly tyres on a MTB fold or squirm on the knobs as they roll on them, so they lose energy. They also cause the juddering feel and typewriter style noise. The smooth tyres roll better, quieter and actually grip better on road :tongue:

Other things to try and speed your bike up would include making sure the tyres are pumped right up to the max pressure (it should be on the side of the tyre). This will speed up even knobbly tyres a little and leave you needing to use less effort. Also make sure you've oiled the chain, it's amazing what a difference this can make.

You are never going to turn a MTB into a road bike, it isn't one. But this set up should make it easier to ride on the roads, and you always have the option of putting the off road tyres back on and go where the roadies dare not ride :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Robert, yeah I understand what you mean. The Halfords I have is on a big industrial estate, and last time I went there just to buy a bike lock mind you! They did all they could do draw my attention to the more expensvie bikes, not because they were good, solely to make a sale I believe. But I don't know of any bike shops other than Halfords. Anyone on here from Bedfordshire, can point me too one?

Graham, that is my problem, I have NO idea what i'm looking for on bikes. 2 wheels and a good looker is all I know to look for. Unfortunately that's not the case, which is why I have come here to get advice from people who know much more about these. Which is great!

Muddyfox, unfortunately I can't. I earn about £75 a month tops, that includes leisure and everything. A lot of my time goes on college, so the best job I could get in the meantime with this current economy was Stewarding at my local football club, so I only get paid when they play at home, which in football, isn't too often.
Lucky lucky! Not a bad return investment then eh?

McShroom, Just as well I did buy two then, thanks! Yeah I did always wonder what that irritating noise was! My tyres are generally pumped up to minimum PSI, simply to give me a little bounce on rough surfaces due to no suspension. By oiling the chain, WD40? Lol. No, no I don't intend on doing so, but at the moment it's all I have so I want to make it as easy as possible! But I do like the odd off roading here and there, might need to buy new wheels for the times when I just feel like wondering the local woodland!

Top Bottom