Can you get a good road bike for £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMonster

Being a student and only on a part time job with my local football club, budget is a real issue for me. I currently own an Apollo XC26SE MTB, but that's it. I have a friend who has a road bike and he seems to put in much less effort to do the same distance and pace as myself, so I thought I might buy one, even if I don't use it often, it's there..

So my question is, what can I get for £100?

I know I can't get a new one, i've looked almost everywhere and cheapest I found was £250 in Argos. So second hand would be my only option I guess.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
new? absolutely not.

s/h will get something fairly ridable, try a local bike shop, or ebay

Go secondhand. Anything - and I mean anything - will be better than <shudder> a new £100 bike. In the immortal words of Mike Burrows "you don't get a bike for £100. You get a heap of shoot for £100". Honestly, you'd be better off setting fire to five £20 notes. At least that would keep you warm for five minutes.

Sam Kennedy

I nearly fell into the trap trying to get a road bike for £100-£200. I was lucky, someone at my club sold me a decent road bike for £350. I now shudder at the thought of what I could have ended up with.. :S

You will honestly be much better off saving up £300-400 and going second hand. There is really nothing decent brand new until you get to around £600.

However, you will find once you have the bike, that there are better bikes, then once you get a better bike, there's a shinier one, then once you have a good shiny bike, there is an EVEN BETTER one for just a bit more money, then once you have that, some company invents a 15 speed which you just HAVE TO HAVE.

It's the n+1 rule :smile:
n is the number of bikes you have, n+1 is the number of bikes you need! :smile:

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I do understand what your all saying, the only reason I mentioned the £250 Argos bike was because it was the cheapest NEW bike I could find, so I know I can't buy one new. It wasn't to compare anything.

Just looking for bikes that would be reasonable and fairly reliable for the little money I have available to start my cycling.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've just realised that i've two bikes that cost £250. mind you, one of those has cost me about another £500 in upgrades…

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Sam Kennedy said:
I nearly fell into the trap trying to get a road bike for £100-£200. I was lucky, someone at my club sold me a decent road bike for £350. I now shudder at the thought of what I could have ended up with.. :S

You will honestly be much better off saving up £300-400 and going second hand. There is really nothing decent brand new until you get to around £600.

However, you will find once you have the bike, that there are better bikes, then once you get a better bike, there's a shinier one, then once you have a good shiny bike, there is an EVEN BETTER one for just a bit more money, then once you have that, some company invents a 15 speed which you just HAVE TO HAVE.

It's the n+1 rule :smile:
n is the number of bikes you have, n+1 is the number of bikes you need! :smile:

I agree entirely! Same with almost everything.
Just why are they so expensive?! Not very welcoming for a new cyclist, looking at the prices!

While I stand by what I said above, if you haven't got a bike and all you've got is a hundred quid, any bike is better than none and you'll do more cycling with a £100 bike than you will with no bike at all. But it will be a pile of shite, and you'll be better off with a secondhand bike. Have a look on ebay for steel framed road bikes near you and post a link to the listing on here. We can help you get a good bike.

MrMonster said:
So even £250 bikes are not worth buying?

They can be. But it's like anything else: if you're an enthusiast you can always find some way to spend your money. I've got a Citroen 2CV on the drive. It's got a perfectly good engine, but that hasn't stopped me buying all the bits I need to build a tuned engine to try and make it go a bit faster. I'd guess alec has done the bike equivalent with his £250 bike.:smile:

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I do have a bike at the moment, but it's a MTB with 3" tyres, so it's not the easiest thing to ride in comparison to my friend on a Bianchi Road Bike.. He just sails off with minimum effort, and with the distances I am looking to cover, perhaps it would be wise of me to invest in one, however money is my issue.

Should I stick with my MTB until I can afford a decent bike?

I'll look on eBay like you said, and post the links to see if they are worthwhile buying.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
one of these is what i started out with, and it was good enough for club riding (change the saddle mind).

i ended up spending loads on it as the frame was sound but a change in gearing requirements found me upgrading the groupset, then i put a carbon fork on, then new wheels…

if you can spare £200, the bike in the link is a good start which, like me, you can upgrade if you feel the need, or just enjoy it as it is.

edit: choose this one over newer virtuosos (usually blue) as the frame is merida-built 6061-t6 aluminium, the newer ones are generic 7005. i won't bore you with specifics, but 6061 is less of a harsh ride and tends to be lighter.

Top Bottom