Can you get a good road bike for £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

As a rough rule of thumb I was always taught that the inside leg measurement less ten inches as a starting point for frame size. I have a 29 inside leg, and a 19 inch frame does me nicely.

Does this no longer apply with modern frame geometry.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Buddha, it doesn't have anything on the rim, but on the tyre it does say 26 x 2.1? Not sure what that means, alongside the PSI etc.

JayClock, when I get paid that may well be an option depending how much I get paid, i'm looking for a road bike at the moment though, or is that just as good?

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Buddha, that is a pretty nice bike too, but again, out of my budget. This cycling is quite expensive, I might have to make do until I have enough money to buy everything in one go. Thanks though.

Robert, the only local bike shop I know of in my town is Halfords, will they do this?

MrMonster said:
So i'm looking at 26x1.75 slick tyres?

A small tip ... be sure to ask for them in metric: "26 x one point seven five". In other words, don't ask in the shop for "26 x one and three quarter" tyres because you'll get some weird size which will fit one of those old cast iron Roadster bikes from the 1920s, but nothing else. I've still got some in my shed from the last time I made that mistake.:smile:

MrMonster said:
Do literally go in and ask for twenty six by one point seven five tyres? Or convert it to cm and ask it like that? Not sure what you meant, sorry!

It's the "one point seven five" bit that's important. As long as you say "26 x one point seven five" and NOT "26 x one and three quarters", you'll be fine. I know it seems trivial, but it makes all the difference.:smile:

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Thanks Mag. I've just bought those ones you said. See how we go from there. Hopefully they'll be here by Thursday, ready for my trip on Sunday.

Is the price just one tyre btw? Cause I bought two, not sure if i'll end up with 4 or 2! Lol

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
chillyuk said:
As a rough rule of thumb I was always taught that the inside leg measurement less ten inches as a starting point for frame size. I have a 29 inside leg, and a 19 inch frame does me nicely.

Does this no longer apply with modern frame geometry.

I dont know, since Ive only recently bought bikes. But your way of doing it is probably as valid as a starting point for guessing size as any other.

I have seen a couple of formula's (recommended by someone on here forget the username though) for working out ballpark figures. They matched up pretty close, within 4cm for me, so it gave a small range of sizes to try to see which fit best.

Also the top tube length is important. You can alter seat height dramatically easily, but you have limited alteration to your reach (saddle slide and stem pretty much) and it will effect handling to put on shorter or longer stems etc. So its important to make sure your reach is good to go.

MrMonster said:
Robert, the only local bike shop I know of in my town is Halfords, will they do this?

They should size you, but its dependant on staff's skill level how well they do this, halfords dont have a good rep. I doubt they would put you on a turbo trainer and spend time setting bikes up for you perfectly to see how you feel on them.

Id travel a bit further to a better bike shop for important technical input if possible.

Top Bottom