Can you help me with fitness bike recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadNewbie

Regular
I recently got a used hybrid bike for recreation and fitness cycling. I’m really loving getting out to the paved trails and ready to upgrade to something nicer. I have to have an internal cable carbon frame with flat bars and a 1x11 drive preferred Disc preferred and have narrowed down to the 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4.

Does anyone know of a similar configuration in that price range? I’m just wondering if there’s other styling and brand options.

Thanks in advance, if not I’ll probably start hunting down or preordering the next batch of the Trek.

Sharky

Guru
Are you sure you want flat bars? If your reasons are more towards "fitness" and "sport", perhaps riding a sportive or two or a group ride, flat bars could put at a disadvantage compared with other riders.

Flat bars are popular and lots of people ride with them, but if you start riding energetically, fast cornering, climbing and descending, you might find them a bit limiting.

Good luck with your N+1 and keep us all posted on your cycling adventures.

OP
OP
RoadNewbie

RoadNewbie

Regular
Are you sure you want flat bars? If your reasons are more towards "fitness" and "sport", perhaps riding a sportive or two or a group ride, flat bars could put at a disadvantage compared with other riders.

Flat bars are popular and lots of people ride with them, but if you start riding energetically, fast cornering, climbing and descending, you might find them a bit limiting.

Good luck with your N+1 and keep us all posted on your cycling adventures.
I’m more towards leisure fitness but really appreciate a simple but quality build and designed hybrid road bike.

OP
OP
RoadNewbie

RoadNewbie

Regular
Whyte Stirling?
Not carbon but a lovely fast light flatbar
I‘ve just checked out the Stirling V2 from your recommendation and it’s pretty spot on to what I want. Probably the best I’ve seen so far. Too bad I’m in the US and there’s no Whyte bikes to be found :sad:

OP
OP
RoadNewbie

RoadNewbie

Regular
Similar style of bike available from Rose.

Not plastic, but the same weight as the Trek, and it has a wider range of gears.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-multistreet-3-fitness-men-2685958?product_shape=Matt+Grey/Shiny+White/Shiny+Fluo+Yellow&article_size=21"

Edit: Looks like the website's playing up, but it's called the Multistreet Fitness.

It might reappear shortly.
You guys have all the good bikes over there which we don’t have in the US. That Multistreet is such a nice looking bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
You guys have all the good bikes over there which we don’t have in the US. That Multistreet is such a nice looking bike.
Anything from Norco or Fuji, those are North American brands which we can’t easily access here?
https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/fitness/absolute
https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/

or anything suitable from Cannondale or Specialized?
BMC sell in the US and hve flatbar urban bikes
https://www.elementcycles.net/brand/bmc/
it wasn’t clear before that you're in the US 👍

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Rose ship to America.

I bought a bike from them a few years ago, shipped to me in the UK, and they were excellent to deal with.

It's also the best made and finished bike of the few new bikes I've bought.

America is a long way from Germany, so in your position I'd probably go for something available locally.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Trek.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
America is a long way from Germany, so in your position I'd probably go for something available locally.

Unless you go for a hand built custom build, almost all bikes these days are actually manufactured in Taiwan, Vietnam, or China - so where the purchaser is located is pretty irrelevant. It boils down to how much the bike will cost when shipping and import duties are factored in.

Dartmoorcf

Regular
I recently got a used hybrid bike for recreation and fitness cycling. I’m really loving getting out to the paved trails and ready to upgrade to something nicer. I have to have an internal cable carbon frame with flat bars and a 1x11 drive preferred Disc preferred and have narrowed down to the 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4.

Does anyone know of a similar configuration in that price range? I’m just wondering if there’s other styling and brand options.

Thanks in advance, if not I’ll probably start hunting down or preordering the next batch of the Trek.

I'm in much the same boat. I've been looking at the Giant Fastroad sl. Pity no bike shops round here have any bikes available!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Unless you go for a hand built custom build, almost all bikes these days are actually manufactured in Taiwan, Vietnam, or China - so where the purchaser is located is pretty irrelevant. It boils down to how much the bike will cost when shipping and import duties are factored in.

The OP is buying from a retailer.

My view is it might be asking for bother for him to buy from Rose in Germany when he is in America.

Rose as a remote seller are as good as you will get, but it makes more sense for the OP to buy from a seller based in his home country.

Particularly, as you point out, when the products are much the same.

OP
OP
RoadNewbie

RoadNewbie

Regular
Thanks for everyone’s input. With limited options in the US I’m now willing to go drop bar and have upgraded my choice again to the Specialized Diverge Base Carbon.

Top Bottom