Can You 'High-Side'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
I've always been of the view that the vertical component of the rider's velocity is a result of the bike rotating around the sticking point. When the tyre 'sticks' the bike is going sideways and it is leaned over. As it sticks the bike (with rider) rotates and that introduces a good deal of vertical velocity to the rider. Suspension might add to this effect.
And developing that a little more, the resulting vertical velocity is proportional to the sideways velocity. On a motorbike, the sideways velocity can be sufficiently high that the resultant vertical velocity is enough to eject the rider from the bike. I don't think we get up to those sort of speeds on a bike, so I reckon a high-side on a bike is highly unlikely, if not impossible. And, as a couple have already pointed out, the wheels would probably pringle or the tyres slide off at that level of force.

Levo-Lon

Guru
With a cycle it' loss of rear grip and the riders angle of dangle..
The cyclist usually falls with the bike so it ends up on top of them or sliding away.
If it's a high side it's unlucky.

A motorcycle highside is another animal All together , too much power to the tyre, loss of traction , then too much traction, and a strong coil spring being set free to send the rider skyward.

Both versions seem to hurt tho

Top Bottom