Can you re-grease Shimano A530s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
My pedals feel a little "gritty". I can't find a way to get at the bearings, the black collar is plastic and is marking badly when I tried to unscrew it. Maybe it is not designed to come off and give access to to the bearings??

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
My pedals feel a little "gritty". I can't find a way to get at the bearings, the black collar is plastic and is marking badly when I tried to unscrew it. Maybe it is not designed to come off and give access to to the bearings??

The plastic collar (on 2 here) is I am pretty sure the right thing to unscrew, the trouble is you are supposed to use that special tool that grabs the collar properly, so any other way might mark/deform it - I have had good results however by wrapping a cloth on it before gripping it with a pair of plumbers pliers carefully, but ymmv. This might also help. It is not a quick job...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, the bearings on my A 530's are not great, but you can't expect too much for the price. I just try to squirt some old in from time to time.

raindog

er.....
Yes, I use pliers (carefully!) on mine, and the whole cartridge comes out for greasing/replacement. Or you can buy the special spanner.

Cyclenon

D

Deleted member 23692

I'd try the easy way first and see it that cures the problem. If it doesn't then a full strip down might be in order

OP
OP
Sillyoldman

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Cheers guys. Not as simple as I hoped but looks doable

Top Bottom