Can you recommend a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the feedback folks, I've looked at the Whyte range, and while I like the prices they tend to be only 9/10 gears where by I definitely think 11 is the lowest i'll go. The boardman range is just sexual, but the price is too steep for a commuter. I reckon It'll just have to be the Planet X :smile:
Where are you commuting? I commute in notoriously lumpy Sheffield, and although my commuter has 21 or 24 gears theoretically (can't remember which cassette is on it atm) I use at most four of them on the commute - the 'basically flat' gear, the 'downhill' gear, the 'too steep / too much stuff in the panniers gear' and on occasion, the 'too much stuff in the panniers and it's windy / I'm knackered' gear.

As long as the bike you get has the correct range, the actual number doesn't matter. Also, 7/8 speed chains and cassettes last longer and are cheaper than 11 speed, if you're after reliability and ease of use.

EDIT - sorry missed this post:

to sound like a complete mong, what are hub gears exactly? yes I've been away from cycling for that long!.

Google is your friend with general questions, but we're good for specifics. 'Mong' is quite an offensive term.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hub gears and disc brakes are indeed low maintenance but they are certainly not no maintenance.

Hub gears need an annual service and not many bike shops are comfortable with taking these apart. So, if the OP does go down this route, s/he may need to be mechanically inclined.

If they live in a flat area, a single speed could be best solution for durability and ease of ownership.

Levo-Lon

Guru
For a 5 mile commute on the sort of terrain and surfaces you are talking about the difference in performance of the different bikes mentioned doesn't mean a lot. You might get into work, or home, thirty seconds earlier on the fastest.

I would go for the best looking one. Holdsworth wins, hands down.

It's a cracking looking bike , and a 1x11 apex groupset!! For a monkey

OP
OP
Grievesy

Grievesy

Cheers for the info folks, I am commuting in Dumfries & Galloway.

Apologies for the use of the offensive term. It would appear that, my application to the PC brigade expired.

Decided I need to get my hands on a wee 1x11 for a test ride and see if it fits.

Top Bottom