Can you recommend a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

Howdy folks, I figured I'd harness the power of the internet (2 minds and better than 1) and all that.

I own a CUBE ATTEMPT road bike, while this bike is great for my weekend runs or sportives. I am looking to purchase a 2nd bike for year long commuting. it's worth noting that I commute 5 miles each way on mainly a cycle path with the odd bit of roads thrown in (less than 3/4 a mile of roads)

I'm thinking that for a change or purely for the commuting form
a hybrid bike.
disc brakes for the crummier weather.
1x11 groupset (this should be interesting).
and probably a straight handlebar.

I'm not looking to set any speed records, just a solid low maintenance commuter that I could use in all weathers and it can take a bit of a beating.

if possible, may include panniers or mudguards for winter or if I fancy some touring. I've had a look and all I can really see that ticks the boxes so far is

PLANET X - LONDON ROAD
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXL...don-road-sram-apex-1-flat-bar-urban-road-bike

or

HOLDSWORTH - ELAN

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOL...lan-sram-apex-1-flat-bar-disc-urban-road-bike

if anyone else knows of any bikes that tick these boxes or similar (or suggestions) feel free to share. I can't do too much research on the internet as I'm currently in work skiving and that much browsing would set off the data limit then it'd be off to see the boss man to explain myself :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte R7 flat bar range :okay:

Some deals on older models here depending what size needed

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co...rder=CI_Price+ASC&filter-brand=Go&mf_id[]=231

KneesUp

Guru
Can’t speak highly enough of my cheaper than chips 26” wheel rigid mountain bike with slick tyres and a drum brake (will have 2 when I need to replace the rear wheel). Will outlive me, bomb proof, dead cheap and not attractive to thieves.

Can’t speak highly enough of my cheaper than chips 26” wheel rigid mountain bike with slick tyres and a drum brake (will have 2 when I need to replace the rear wheel). Will outlive me, bomb proof, dead cheap and not attractive to thieves.
Interested in drum brakes - who sells wheels with them, or do you have them built?

For a 5 mile commute on the sort of terrain and surfaces you are talking about the difference in performance of the different bikes mentioned doesn't mean a lot. You might get into work, or home, thirty seconds earlier on the fastest.

I would go for the best looking one. Holdsworth wins, hands down.

KneesUp

Guru
I bought mine secondhand for twenty quid to see what it was like from the local bike charity. It’s a Sturmey 70mm drum. I think it’s from a shopper type bike originally. I guess getting them built is easier.

I bought mine secondhand for twenty quid to see what it was like from the local bike charity. It’s a Sturmey 70mm drum. I think it’s from a shopper type bike originally. I guess getting them built is easier.
Thanks, will ask at my local.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Easy but not fast because apparently I wanted spokes that were awkward to get!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Must admit i use a rigid steel mtb for commuting on and would also suggest one , mine doesn't have the luxury of hub brakes though .

OP
OP
Grievesy

Grievesy

Thanks for the feedback folks, I've looked at the Whyte range, and while I like the prices they tend to be only 9/10 gears where by I definitely think 11 is the lowest i'll go. The boardman range is just sexual, but the price is too steep for a commuter. I reckon It'll just have to be the Planet X :smile:

Top Bottom