Can you recommend a set of 26" wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I'm looking to replace the wheels on my Carrera Subway 2. I had a quick look in CRC but not sure....

Being a Carrera I don't really want to spend more than £120 for the set but I would like wheels as light as possible....

They need to be able to take brake disks, 6 standard bolts and 8 speed cassette.

Will be used mainly on roads.

Preferably in black.

zexel

Veteran
Do you know how much you existing wheels weigh?

For that money I think you're going to struggle getting anything remotely light or much lighter than what you have already. Keep your money.

IMO it would be worth spending double that see/feel any difference and be light wheels.

If you decided to spend that amount these are a fantastic wheel for the money and are hard to beat on lightness and durability.

Pro-Lite Allein Wheelset (£269)
Super Light cross-country Wheelset

Features:
• Alloy welded Rim with Eyelet for maximum strength
• 2 x 4 Bearing system
• Triple butted Swedish Stainless steel Aero black spoke, Alloy Nipple T73 material.
• Front - 28 H / 3cross, Rear 32 H / 3 cross.
• White Powder coating or shot blast black for added durability as an option
• Weight F: 742 g / R: 858 g

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Do you know how much you existing wheels weigh?

For that money I think you're going to struggle getting anything remotely light or much lighter than what you have already. Keep your money.

IMO it would be worth spending double that see/feel any difference and be light wheels.

If you decided to spend that amount these are a fantastic wheel for the money and are hard to beat on lightness and durability.

Pro-Lite Allein Wheelset (£269)
Super Light cross-country Wheelset

Features:
• Alloy welded Rim with Eyelet for maximum strength
• 2 x 4 Bearing system
• Triple butted Swedish Stainless steel Aero black spoke, Alloy Nipple T73 material.
• Front - 28 H / 3cross, Rear 32 H / 3 cross.
• White Powder coating or shot blast black for added durability as an option
• Weight F: 742 g / R: 858 g

Thanks for the post. I knew I was asking a difficult question. There are lots of good wheels but for considerable more money I want to spend.

The wheels you are suggesting seem fantastic for the money but it doesn't make sense to spend best part of £300 on wheels for a bike that probably cost half as much. Furthermore, I ride this bike only in the winter.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree with Zexel. I am also unware of any fairly light, good 26" disc wheels that are near £120.

Am unsure why you want to replace the wheels. If rims/spokes are on their last leg then perhaps lighter ones can be used to rebuild existing. For £120 you might just be able to find a pair of Crossride if you are lucky, but they still weigh 1900g in disc spec.

If the existing wheels are still good, then unless they are pig heavy spending money replacing them is unlikely to be the most cost efficient way to go light. However I believe most people can drop 400g or even more from their 26" wheels for a lot less by just switching tyres and tubes. For XC purpose Rocket Ron Folding are 380g each for 1.85", while for road use Kojak Folding 1.35" are just under 300g each - stock 26" tyres that come with bikes are often around 600g a piece.

If you also have heavy tubes (around 200g a piece is not unusual), Maxxis Flyweight or Ultralight are close to 100g and will make a difference.

It is probably worth mentioning that the responsive feel of a pair of lighter wheels comes mainly from their low rotational inertia - essentially all the tyre/tube/rim mass, only part of the spoke mass, but none of the hub mass have meaningful contribution to that.

zexel

Veteran
Oh ah, you got a very good point, didn't realise the Carrera was at that price point.

Then if it was me I'd keep the money in the bank :biggrin:.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
1.9 kg would be acceptable I think..... I'd guess my wheels are even heavier than that :-)

I'm sure I would save some weight on the tyres.... Last year I was in a rush to get some new tyres and I got some bikehut chunky things that are pretty heavy. They do the job but I will replace them next year for something lighter.

As for the wheels, they need replacing, they are most definitely on their last leg.

Top Bottom