can you straighten wobbly tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

I bought a pair of 26 x1.25 inch nutcracker hybrid tyres. When I got them they were compressed and folded. (they are not folding tyres)

When I put them on my wheels (which are straight & true) there is a wobble. Is there anything I can do reduce this?

Regards

Cycleman

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sometimes it's due to the inner tube/tyre not seating in/on the rim. Sometimes.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I got a Marathon Plus online (highonbikes) which was folded up for posting, it never did straighten out properly and annoys me constantly (probably a bit ocd) that it makes the front wheel look like its got a wobble in it. Interestingly Wiggle wont ship them internationally because they say they cant fold them.

let some (about 50%) of the pressure out of the tyre and then push your thumbs up and into the sidewall all the way round - it probably hasn't seated on the rim properly. Wire bead tyres can be folded, (as long as you don't squash them flat), but I've never had a problem seating them afterwards.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If it's a good tyre you can install and ride. After 200 miles it'll wear into its normal position.

Other than that, hang it in a garage/shed and it will straighten under it's own weight.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
but...........it might just be a fault in the tyre. And it might be a prelude to the tyre rupturing. That sounds dramatic, but I speak from experience. So I'd do all the stuff, see if it straightens out, and if it doesn't, get rid of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
but...........it might just be a fault in the tyre. And it might be a prelude to the tyre rupturing. That sounds dramatic, but I speak from experience. So I'd do all the stuff, see if it straightens out, and if it doesn't, get rid of it.
I agree!

I noticed a distinct wobble on my rear tyre on one of my forum rides. I investigated when I got home and found that the tyre was splitting apart from within. A disturbing thing to find hidden away in a tyre that I had descended on at speeds up to 90 kph just a few hours before ... :eek:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i had a pr of vittorio's go all wibbly wobbly on me sunday morning and after about 4 miles the grew bulges in 2 or 3 places , so be carefull

rh100

http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

If you look at the part titled 'seating the tyre' it gives some tips. One of the first problems I had when I started riding was some Panaracer MTB tyres that were a sod to get right on the rim, I always now check the witness line he mentions every time I fit the tyre.

OP
OP
C

cycleman

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will try the things you have suggested.

Regards

Cycleman

Top Bottom