Can you tell what it is yet?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How's he getting on with his bike?

A month in, is he enjoying it?

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
How's he getting on with his bike?

A month in, is he enjoying it?
Hi Rob,

Yeah he is thanks. He christened it with a pretty nasty spill the first proper ride out. He got a bit carried away going round a corner and just went too wide and clipped the kerb. Fortunately there wasn't much damage to either the boy or the bike, and he didn't show any fear getting back on which was the main thing.

I was actually pretty smug that he'd wiped out taking a bend at >15mph and being a bit over-confident, rather than it being because of being scared or unable to handle the brakes, gears or size of the bike properly.

It's all part of the learning process!

That's it, at least he dusted himself off and got back on.

Shame about him having a nasty spill though. Glad it didn't knock his confidence and he's back on it again. :biggrin:

I'm guessing he'll be doing competitions etc?

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I'm guessing he'll be doing competitions etc?
Not at the moment. I don't want to push him into doing things just because I like doing them. We do have very different characters and he definitely doesn't have my competitiveness... yet!

I want him to enjoy riding first of all, and there's talk of going down to the local go-kart track with a few of the youngsters and introducing them to bunch riding and a little bit of competition there, which seems perfect.

If he wants to take the competition further after that then great! If not, then I'll just be happy with some countryside treks with him where we can get some fresh air, some exercise, and have a good natter!

Well, whatever he decides to do, I hope he enjoys it as much as we do.
It's a great lease on life, and I remember my teens when I could cycle to "far reaches" of Plymouth and areas in Cornwall, without the ability to call home, no mobiles, no cash, just you, bike and plenty of road.

Top Bottom