Can You Tour On Any Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I know that it's possible to tour on literally anything but what's the most interesting bike you've toured on? I'm planning on setting up my Giant Escape for touring next year as I'm unable to buy a dedicated touring bike and I'm interested in seeing what kind of bikes people have used before.

GOAB

8 days in France, September 2015:
P1030615 crop.jpg

8 days in France, June 2016:
P1050072.JPG

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Last summer @flyingfifi and I cycled from Glasgow to the Lakes and back on 2 flat bar Pinnacles.
The year before I used a hybrid Trek to cycle from Glasgow to Inverness.
As long as there are a rear rack for luggage, decent puncture resistant tyres, decent brakes and low enough gears I think any bike will do if you are not in a hurry.

OP
OP
greekonabike

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Thanks everyone for your responses thus far.

I know of a local young lad who is planning on going from North Wales to Chamonix on a £20 second hand bike. I think he is bonkers!
He did say he doesn't care how long it takes him to get there .

Well fair play to him, there's nothing really stopping him from doing it unless he has a major mechanical malfunction on the way. I've not long got back from North Wales. I was staying in a little village between Porthmadog and Caernarfon and I really wish I'd bought my bike whilst I was up there so I could have experienced the countryside on it.

Last summer @flyingfifi and I cycled from Glasgow to the Lakes and back on 2 flat bar Pinnacles.
The year before I used a hybrid Trek to cycle from Glasgow to Inverness.
As long as there are a rear rack for luggage, decent puncture resistant tyres, decent brakes and low enough gears I think any bike will do if you are not in a hurry.

Yeah I think I saw some pictures of that in one of the other threads. A Trek FX something or other wasn't it? Well I've already got the puncture resistant tyres and I'll be getting the rack at some point in the near future along with everything else I'll think I'm likely to need.

Thanks for all your input.

GOAB

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I know that it's possible to tour on literally anything but what's the most interesting bike you've toured on? I'm planning on setting up my Giant Escape for touring next year as I'm unable to buy a dedicated touring bike and I'm interested in seeing what kind of bikes people have used before.

GOAB
I did many happy miles touring on my Giant Escape.
Nowt wrong with them if set up to suit you properly.
IMG_20140913_140741.jpg

Top Bottom