Can you use a track bike on a turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a non-smart turbo trainer - an Elite Volare, it's so old, Elite no longer sell it but it still works perfectly - it's one where you connect the whole bike up to the trainer

I have an even older bike that I use on it and it is rapidly falling apart - it has no front or back derailleurs and the chain just sits on the rear cassette meaning that I can luckily pedal it in the highest gear.

Coincidentally, my mate has a full blown track bike that he bought for the velodrome but he couldn't handle the banking - he has a history of buying stuff and then barely using it. But it got me thinking, could I use it on my cheap turbo?

I have cycled on velodromes before so am well aware what happens if you stop pedalling even for a nanosecond!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have a non-smart turbo trainer - an Elite Volare, it's so old, Elite no longer sell it but it still works perfectly - it's one where you connect the whole bike up to the trainer

I have an even older bike that I use on it and it is rapidly falling apart - it has no front or back derailleurs and the chain just sits on the rear cassette meaning that I can luckily pedal it in the highest gear.

Coincidentally, my mate has a full blown track bike that he bought for the velodrome but he couldn't handle the banking - he has a history of buying stuff and then barely using it. But it got me thinking, could I use it on my cheap turbo?

I have cycled on velodromes before so am well aware what happens if you stop pedalling even for a nanosecond!

Yes you can, have done it for years.
If the Turbo doesn't have any resistance adjustment then all you can change is your pedalling rate.
If the turbo has some form of different resistance setting then you'll be able to do more varied efforts/workouts.

Big John

Guru
I see no reason why you can't use a trackbike on an old turbo. I've used a fixed wheel bike in the past both on the turbo and the rollers.

Fastpedaller

I use a track bile on mine - only difference you may find is if the OLN distance causes a problem (which it did with mine). The narrow width meant the tyre couldn't be adjusted to fit central to the roller, which in time may have created an issue. I got around this by welding a 15mm socket (which locates on one track nut) on one of the adjustable screws.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Yes you can, have done it for years.
If the Turbo doesn't have any resistance adjustment then all you can change is your pedalling rate.
If the turbo has some form of different resistance setting then you'll be able to do more varied efforts/workouts.

Yeah, it has five resistance settings so I can vary workouts, I just need to remember to keep on pedalling!

And thanks for the other answers, I may take the turbo into wotk to see if the bike fits it, I just assumed it would!

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I only use fixed on a turbo (old style gel type). Mainly because I feel that track nuts are a bit more robust to be clamped in.

I'm not saying a turbo is an very very common activity of mine however!

Yeah you can but make sure you're pushing a big gear. Pointless twiddling around on the turbo.

I'd go for effort level rather than amount of twiddling.

I've used my fixed wheel on the turbo in the past and it was quite effective. I did have magnetic resistance though which helps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Riding fixed on a turbo is not the same as on the road. On a turbo, you don't have any rotational momentum, so if you stop pedalling, the wheels will just stop turning very quickly.
Unlike this... :whistle:

My one experience of 'fixed' was in a local gym - a long warm-up on a stationary bike which had a massive flywheel (when I say 'massive', I mean it - probably 20-30 kgs of shiny metal mass!). After about 20 minutes of high-cadence spinning I decided to get off and transfer to the Concept2 rowing machine. I completely forgot that I couldn't freewheel... The damn machine kicked me clear out of the saddle and almost tore my legs off!
:eek:

Top Bottom