Can you use 'triple' STIs for a double setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thinking of fitting some to a bike I'm building up...most of the ones on ebay seem to be for triples, I have a double setup. Would they still work? (Just 'don't use the third setting'?)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think so.

I think you can set the limit screw on the mech so that the additional click just becomes redundant.

Don't hold me on this though!

VamP

Banned
I have done it with MTB shifters, and don't see any reason why you couldn't do it with STIs.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. Is setup reasonably doable? I've only ever done downtube shifters before - STis look a lot more complicated!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Setting up STI levers and gears is very easy, lots of video's out there, takes longer to get the hood position in your preferred place and level them both up than actually indexing the gears IME.

simon.r

Person
I have a Charge Juicer which came with a double chainset and a triple shifter. I've now put a triple chainset on it - both set-ups work fine.

lukesdad

Yep doable the clicks are to trim so you will have more than 3 clicks any way. Set the limiter screws for the chainrings then adjust the cable to get the movement you want, you ll probably want an extra click to trim on the smaller chainring if you want to use the 2 smaller cogs on the cassette on that ring.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all - much appreciated.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I think you can set the limit screw on the mech so that the additional click just becomes redundant.
Block out the inner granny ring click(s) rather than the outer click(s).
That way, when you run up against the outer limit screw, everything is normal, and running against the inner limit screw is powered by the mech spring rather than your fingers levering on the shifter

Top Bottom