Canadian buses....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hard to make it out in this photo. Wonder if someone is sitting on it?

View attachment 355868
Oops! I'll fix that. I certainly used the buses of which I spoke. ;)

Cool pic, though.

Debade

Über Member
The bike racks on buses I believe grew out of the concept for the 'first' and 'last' mile. (It obviously can be used any way the user wants). It allows for people living/working far from a bus stop to reach home/work by bicycle/bus.

In my experiences, which is limited compared to the number of USA cities/towns that offer the service, Los Angeles was the only city that I saw where the bus racks were mostly filled. I was not confident that a rack would be available for me if I wanted to take the bus.

I do know in Milwaukee, a few years ago, there was a big effort to NOT put the racks on the buses. There was a feeling that it was very expensive as it relates to expected use. After a slow start, the use of the racks exceeded expectations. If memory serves, 100.000 bike on buses were provided in one year. I have not kept up with it for a while but I expect more and more people are utilizing the racks. But, even with that much volume, it was never a problem getting a bike on a bus rack. So, when we see an empty bus bike rack, it might speak to the number of buses available vs the use.

Sixmile

Veteran
Apparently the bus cycle rack trial is being extended to include other vehicles.

crash2.jpg

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Future busses should be designed so the bikes fit underneath - like the luggage spaces you see on most modern coaches - some of which are large enough to stand under.

Proto

Legendary Member

Top Bottom