Canadian buses....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a few in these neck o'woods with a rack for bikes.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I had never seen them before visiting Toronto a couple of years ago. Niw a mire extensive trip around western Canada shiws them to be standard on the buses.

And I have never seen them in the UK.

They had them on buses in Las Vegas when I was there in 2005. Although they weren't being used and about the only people I saw on bikes were some very overweight cycle cops.
I haven't cycled there, but one of the things that struck me about Nevada were the excellent cycling facilities. Oh yeah, and the brothels.

I did not use either facility. I did hire a Mustang.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
They had them on buses in Las Vegas when I was there in 2005. Although they weren't being used and about the only people I saw on bikes were some very overweight cycle cops.

Agreed, in Banff I saw lots of serious roadies and MTB; in Jasper lots of the town bikes; Vancouver many comuters. And never a bus bike rack in use.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
The front mounted racks are not permitted in the UK. A couple of bus companies did look into introducing them a few years ago but they couldn't get them past the VCA and the Construction & Use Regs.
2017-05-31 08.31.07.jpg

They have a more pragmatic outlook on health and safety.

Sixmile

Veteran
I would imagine it may be a little hassle if you boarded the bus say at the first stop and had your bike mounted on the front. In subsequent stops more bikes were added meaning when it was your turn to jump off you'd have hassle retrieving your own bike without removing the others.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We have them in Bloomington/Normal, in Illinois, all regular bus lines. The intercity rail could use some work, but they are coming along. I think the Chicago to Milwaukee route has bicycle service for $5 extra fare.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I would imagine it may be a little hassle if you boarded the bus say at the first stop and had your bike mounted on the front. In subsequent stops more bikes were added meaning when it was your turn to jump off you'd have hassle retrieving your own bike without removing the others.
If i remember rightly, in Vancouver (I imagine it's the same elsewhere) the racks only hold two bikes. Theres a sort of lifting system where the rack lowers for loading and unloading, then lifts back up to be secured against the front of the bus.

classic33

Leg End Member
IIRC you had to make an advance bike reservation to be able to use them, which seemed a stupid idea. By all means ALLOW bike reservations but don't make them compulsory.
New ones, being trialled this year, don't require a reservation. That from the head of operations.
Who's bus was late when he was going home from the meeting.

Top Bottom