Canal Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

upsidedown said:
The tunnel re-opened in the late 80s. The photo above is the North entrance. There's a gate at each end of the right hand path, i think maybe due to the state of the towpath. The right hand path has some quite deep (well, ankle deep) water.

When I say "years ago" I'm thinking maybe six or seven years ago - Geocaching only started in 2000 so its less than a decade old.

Coulda sworn the tunnel was closed off. Am anxious to make another trip up if it hasn't been.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Downward said:
Sounds good idea

Is it do able on skinny tyres ?

The tunnel itself is not great for riding through, the path is fairly narrow and the handrail is quite low. Not sure how busy it gets at the weekends, on a late Monday afternoon i was the only one in there, and didn't see many more around the area.

The surrounding towpaths vary greatly, i was on my Surly LHT with 38mm light tread Contis, ok for most but a bit slidey on the grassy sections.

The Tame Valley canal was a new one to me, really peaceful going through some very haeavily populated areas.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Downward said:
Where's the Lapal tunnel ?

Halesowen to Selly Oak, not sure of the history but i think it was a very narrow bore tunnel through sandy ground, so never stood much chance. There was some sort of pump that stored water up to push the boats through when released.
I think it goes under the M5.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I love cycling in on the canal. You can get right the way from Rolf Street Staton in Smethwick to Spaghetti Junction on really good towpaths.

I agree with the earlier poster on the bit of canal that runs from Olton to Tyseley being bad - if you carry on though as far as Small Heath it gets loads better!

It's a shame they can't all be improved becuase it is so much nicer than cycling in traffic.

Have you say though you need to develop a bit of a nerve for rats - I don't commute all the way on the canal very often but every day I go through Brindley Place on the canal - just before I get off I often have rats darting in front of me! Big buggers too!!

Downward

Guru
The old canal finishes half way down Mucklows Hill. The tunnel mouth at the Brum end was in Weoley Castle opposite where the Citroen garage is on Barnes Hill. It's grass there now, as the council used it as landfill years ago during a bin men strike.

Oh I know it - The Canal is still @ Leasowes down Mucklow Hill
The old railway is also there - The station used to be where plumb center is.

Is the old tunnel not in use now @ Barnes hill ? I heard it is full of methane hence why the field opposite has little chimneys to release the build up of gas.

If It was reopened I could commute all the way to work on the Lapal Canal although the tunnel is about 2.5 miles long which would be a bit lairy.

Looking at the Lapal Canal trust though I am sure the bridge at Selly Oak has just been knocked down for the new bypass

Downward

Guru
upsidedown said:
Halesowen to Selly Oak, not sure of the history but i think it was a very narrow bore tunnel through sandy ground, so never stood much chance. There was some sort of pump that stored water up to push the boats through when released.
I think it goes under the M5.

Oh Yeah I see the Tunnel is there but won't ever be passable again.
Plus the A456 has been built over the old canal.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Downward said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by User
Maybe us Midlanders should get together and do the Netherton Tunnel?

Sounds good idea

Is it do able on skinny tyres ?

I'm up for it. Any nice cafes serving cake in the middle?

Downward

Guru
Deal
Do we all live close ish to the canals ??

MickL

Über Member
Well I did it, Coseley to Wolverhampton Station via the canal, wow what a ride, I find going to Wolves on the Brum New road can be an unpleasant slog (hence why I get the train at Coseley to Wolves) but the ride this moring... Wow great fun no stop starting no cars and big puddles :sad: in fact lots of big puddles :biggrin: not sure of the distance but I put it at 7 miles maybe plus getting back into fishing found lots of great spots. Oh did I mention big puddles.. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

MickL said:
Well I did it, Coseley to Wolverhampton Station via the canal, wow what a ride, I find going to Wolves on the Brum New road can be an unpleasant slog (hence why I get the train at Coseley to Wolves) but the ride this moring... Wow great fun no stop starting no cars and big puddles ;) in fact lots of big puddles :smile: not sure of the distance but I put it at 7 miles maybe plus getting back into fishing found lots of great spots. Oh did I mention big puddles.. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Excellent stuff, sounds like a great way to get to work. Can't imagine the Birmingham New Road is a great ride, nice to have another route tried and tested. I occasionally do an off-road route to work down a very muddy bridalway, i do get some very odd looks when i get in.

Downward

Guru
So the lapel tunnel right – they say it’s never going to open and the only way of re-opening the canal from Halesowen to selly oak is going overground but Halesowen to Woodgate is a climb of about 200 feet.

At least with the tunnel Halesowen and Selly Oak are on similar altitudes so it was just a case of boring through the hillside.

tomfoolery

There's a narrow-bore tunnel in the way with no towpath isn't there? I've come back that way but you have to go up over the top and then back down to the canal the other side. I think you can go the shortish stretch to Hawne basin along towpath (think you have to go over a footbridge as well).

I'll be up for a canal ride if one's planned.

Top Bottom