Canal Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Stopped off to see my brother in Birmingham, decided to use the canals to get back.

So used the Tame Valley, New Main Line, Netherton Branch, Dudley No2, Dudley No1 and Stourbridge canals !!

On the Tame Valley canal crossing the M5/M6 at Walsall:

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

Then through the Netherton tunnel, 2786 metres, all unlit:

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

Nothing very exciting, but a nice change to the usual commute :smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i like using the canals every now and then. makes a nice change. mind you some of the bridges are really low so i wouldn't like to commute regularly on them.

tomfoolery

Good work! I used to go via the canals from Birmingham to Merry Hill, including through the Netherton Tunnel. And it used to scare me every time!

I developed a bit of a grudging and geeky respect for the canals of the West Mids.

You've ticked off quite a few there. I managed to do the Titford one once when a train I was on (with bike) was stopped at Rowley Regis because someone had driven onto the tracks.

Happy days.

rh100

Rather you than me.
I once went down the stretch from Olton to Tyseley and hated it, way too narrow a track for me. If I found a stretch with a nice wide path I'd maybe give it another go :biggrin:

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

RichK said:
I use bham - worc occasionally to get to/from work.

However, I have two issues. It's too narrow in many places which makes passing peds difficult (& hence slow). It's too muddy in a couple of places when it's (been) raining.

Geese in late spring/early summer can also be interesting.

It's OK for a change now & then, but, I prefer other routes most of the time.

I know what you mean, but it was a nice change and i wasn't in a hurry. Really nice to go over the M5/M6 perma-jam.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Know what you mean about the geese.

Canals can be a bit narrow and hairy - haven't fallen in yet, but suspect I will before I retire.

Avoiding them at the moment due to the puddles.

On the other hand, life seems so much more mellow along the canals. People stop, say hello, and smile, which for Birmingham, is VERY special. You see geese, heron, ducks, moorhens, and even a water rat once. And that is on top of the usual sparrows and pigeons. Blackberries grow wild along the side, and beg to be picked.

abchandler

In the spring I'll be doing the Astwood/Tardebigge flights on the Worcester/Birmingham canal. Looking forward to it. Will still have to negotiate Redditch roads into work though

That Netherton tunnel sounds an awesome experience. I rarely ride beside the canal, but when I do I notice that there is a much more relaxed atmosphere and I don't mind taking 10 minutes longer to get to work. Definitely good for the soul ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's possible to do 90% of my commute via the TPT, next to the river.....but I've only done it once in 2 years.... very plesant, but you do get covered in mud.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

MickL said:
You guys got me thinking now lol Dudley to Wolves via the Canal.... very temping indeed.

That looks a nice ride dropping you right into the middle of town. It'd be amazing in the winter too.
I did it with full mudguards and 38mm road tyres yesterday, bit slippery at parts but no mud over, me. A bit over the bottom bracket etc but nothing to worry about.

MickL

Über Member
I have front and rear mud guards and Crud catcher so shouldnt get to covered, It will pop me out right by the Train station so might try it Thursday, just pondering if its worth me sticking my knobblys back on to do it give me slightly better grip than my current tires.

PBancroft

upsidedown said:
Then through the Netherton tunnel, 2786 metres, all unlit:

DSC00016.JPG

Hurm... years ago I walked the Netherton Tunnel for a Geocache. I could have sworn that the tunnel was blocked off with iron gates not long after.

If it hasn't I may want to pay a return visit. It's a great walk.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Kaipaith said:
Hurm... years ago I walked the Netherton Tunnel for a Geocache. I could have sworn that the tunnel was blocked off with iron gates not long after.

If it hasn't I may want to pay a return visit. It's a great walk.

The tunnel re-opened in the late 80s. The photo above is the North entrance. There's a gate at each end of the right hand path, i think maybe due to the state of the towpath. The right hand path has some quite deep (well, ankle deep) water.
The left hand path is much better with no gates and looked to be mostly dry. Ay-Ups were much appreciated !

If they could repair the Lapal tunnel i could do the daily commute on the canal aswell, no chance of that though.

Downward

Guru
upsidedown said:
The tunnel re-opened in the late 80s. The photo above is the North entrance. There's a gate at each end of the right hand path, i think maybe due to the state of the towpath. The right hand path has some quite deep (well, ankle deep) water.
The left hand path is much better with no gates and looked to be mostly dry. Ay-Ups were much appreciated !

If they could repair the Lapal tunnel i could do the daily commute on the canal aswell, no chance of that though.

Where's the Lapal tunnel ?

Top Bottom