Canal path "spills" - what do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are indeed a Rochdale Canal thing. I’ve either boated or cycled most canals in Britain and the idea of a bywash that empties over, not under, the towpath is generally not something you find anywhere else.

I love the Rochdale - so much so that I wrote an article for Waterways World about it called “Your New Favourite Canal”. It has lots of idiosyncrasies like this. Enjoy them!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They are indeed a Rochdale Canal thing. I’ve either boated or cycled most canals in Britain and the idea of a bywash that empties over, not under, the towpath is generally not something you find anywhere else.
Because it's ridiculous! Flawed in several ways when originally built and even more now, unless you're comfortable with discrimination like a poster above.

Was it cheaper than building them properly?

Jameshow

Veteran

I love the Rochdale - so much so that I wrote an article for Waterways World about it called “Your New Favourite Canal”. It has lots of idiosyncrasies like this. Enjoy them!

Link to article? Sounds interesting!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who's talking about being comfortable with discrimination?

You seemed to be one, arguing against improving "suitability for a certain group of user" right after the planks had been described as only usable by the abled. If that is not the group you and others meant, I apologise, but maybe you should say who.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Well this has taken a bit of a turn that I wasn't expecting.

However, I am now interested in finding out more about the history of canals and why certain kinds of bridges etc. were used in different areas...

You seemed to be one, arguing against improving "suitability for a certain group of user" right after the planks had been described as only usable by the abled
I can't see why you would infer that from anything I wrote. I even went as far as saying:
I'm not commenting on what I think, because frankly who cares!
I was merely pointing out that there are different groups with different ideas about the correct way to maintain the canals. The canal in question is very special and maybe it is the right decision to keep it the way it is. Or maybe not! I'm out of that world now so I will keep my thoughts to myself.

Saying that, I don't believe that cyclists should assume that a resource is appropriate for them just because said resource is car-free. You see that kind of entitlement with motorists all the time. The attitude that you're displaying in your post doesn't feel different to a motorist arguing that 20mph zones are a bad idea because they make their journey times longer. We all belong to tribes, and woebetide the other lot!

However, I am now interested in finding out more about the history of canals and why certain kinds of bridges etc. were used in different areas...

Ah, now this is more interesting territory. It is well worth going on one of the tours that are arranged, formally and informally. As I said I'm out of that world now but I'd be very happy to point you to any that I know if you tell me more or less where you live. Near me the Cromford canal hire boat is a great project - some good cycling but rather busy. I used to occasionally staff a tour boat that left from Mercia Marina near Derby on the Trent & Mersey canal and did a little talk to everyone. Again there's some lovely cycling on the Trent & Mersey.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Saying that, I don't believe that cyclists should assume that a resource is appropriate for them just because said resource is car-free. You see that kind of entitlement with motorists all the time. The attitude that you're displaying in your post doesn't feel different to a motorist arguing that 20mph zones are a bad idea because they make their journey times longer. We all belong to tribes, and woebetide the other lot!
Those cobbled sections (when under water) are not suitable for people or even horses - a horse slipping over on slippery cobbles could suffer a life-threatening injury.

So the 'tribes' are:
  1. People who can safely walk a plank bridge.
  2. People and animals that cannot safely walk a plank bridge - horses, people with balance issues, people who need to use walking sticks, people who use wheelchairs, babies and small children in buggies, and yes - cyclists
I have a suggestion for the Canal & River Trust/local council... You want to keep those spillways as close to how they are now, but also make them accessible? How about building a 1 metre wide bridge over the top of each current plank bridge. Make the new bridge out of galvanised wire mesh panels which would allow visitors to look through at the original features? In fact, I might write to them both to suggest that since they seem to be taking an awfully long time to come up with a solution themselves!

I would point out that the Rochdale canal towpath along there has had £2.1 million pounds spent on it precisely to attract the different 'tribes' described above. It is money wasted if only one tribe is happy!

In fact, I might write to them both to suggest that since they seem to be taking an awfully long time to come up with a solution themselves!

I'm not a horse-boater and I suspect you aren't either - if so what you've said is merely speculation. Any reply I give would also be speculation, I'm not knowledgeable about horses. I don't imagine when the canal was built hundreds of years ago the designers would have designed it in a way that would routinely maim the working horses. Life was very cheap back then but a horse was an expensive asset.

By all means get involved if you have an opinion, although prepared for that opinion to be challenged, ignored or laughed at if you it turns out you don't understand all the issues.

Incidentally, if you're interested in horses, I recommend "Farewell to the Horse: The Final Century of Our Relationship" by Ulrich Raulff. But it's hard reading. The way we treated those animals! I have never used the term "on its last legs" ever again since reading it.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not a horse-boater and I suspect you aren't either - if so what you've said is merely speculation. Any reply I give would also be speculation, I'm not knowledgeable about horses. I don't imagine when the canal was built hundreds of years ago the designers would have designed it in a way that would routinely maim the working horses. Life was very cheap back then but a horse was an expensive asset.
Okay, I have done some research... It looks like horses walking the cobbles can probably join the able-bodied walking the planks! :laugh:

But the rest of us still have a £2.1 million spend which was supposed to give us better access to the towpath.

Interesting article, thanks.

But the rest of us still have a £2.1 million spend which was supposed to give us better access to the towpath.

Ah well, that depends, doesn't it? The devil is in the details with all of those things.

There might well be far more important things than replacing some charming old bits of architecture.

It might be considered that like the K&A as you leave Reading, it's better for everyone to route bike traffic away from the towpath for a few miles (actually a very charming walk).

It's a massive oversimplification to say "build bridge, job done". Planning stuff like this is never simple and there's many competing views about the best way to proceed.

Did I say how pleased I am to not be involved with this stuff anymore?

Top Bottom