Canal Route - London to Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlEddy

AlEddy

Regular
Thank you for that advice.
Starting in Liverpool heading south to London, we were defo planning on cycling the Shropshire Canal from Ellesmere Port to just before Barbridge (near Nantwich) where we would turn off onto the Middlewich Branch, and then onto the Trent and Mersey heading to Stoke on Trent.
Do you think that section is really bad?
We don't mind a challenge, as long as its not dangerous.

With regards to training, do you know any good sites / apps where you can search for cycle routes based on distance? eg say i want to do a 30 mile ride from my postcode, I would type it in and it suggests a cycle route, does that exist?

We did a 24 mile session on Saturday from regents park along the canal to Uxbridge. The terrain definitely changed quickly, some parts we had to get off and walk, and worse, some parts were covered in black ice which was scary! :eek:

Bodhbh

Guru
We did a 24 mile session on Saturday from regents park along the canal to Uxbridge. The terrain definitely changed quickly, some parts we had to get off and walk, and worse, some parts were covered in black ice which was scary! :eek:

You'll spoil it - training on the bloody route!

I would not bother too much about serious training. A flat 30-40 miles a day should be okay without too much pain even if you do zero training. The main thing is to make sure you are comfortable on your bikes for a few hours in one go and that any niggles in that regard have been fixed. Maybe go on some rides of a similar distance in the month leading up the the ride to iron that out. FWIW, without doing any other training bar the odd 3-4 mile run, a couple of years ago my other half went on a 45 mile ride down the Mosel, on a folding bike, without it being a chore.

jay clock

Massive member
With regards to training, do you know any good sites / apps where you can search for cycle routes based on distance? eg say i want to do a 30 mile ride from my postcode, I would type it in and it suggests a cycle route, does that exist?
cycle.travel is ideal for that

to add to the many comments, I would not worry about all the alarming tales. And use booking.com each day. However having done a few days on the Canal du Midi I would concur with the boredom issue. Do report back when you do it!

Thank you for that advice.
Starting in Liverpool heading south to London, we were defo planning on cycling the Shropshire Canal from Ellesmere Port to just before Barbridge (near Nantwich) where we would turn off onto the Middlewich Branch, and then onto the Trent and Mersey heading to Stoke on Trent.
Do you think that section is really bad?
We don't mind a challenge, as long as its not dangerous.

Ellesmere Port through Chester to Waverton is fine (quite lovely, in fact!). From there to the outskirts of Middlewich is rural and unimproved - not too quagmiry and not dangerous, just narrow bumpy singletrack as country towpaths often are. The Trent & Mersey's towards a little better - still unsurfaced, but because much of it is along a flight of locks (the notorious Heartbreak Hill), it's well-trodden.

I'd just make sure you take a cycle map with you, whether a paper one or one on your phone - that way, if you get too hacked off with the towpath quality, you can divert onto quiet roads. There are a lot of NCN routes on country lanes in that part of the world.

OP
OP
AlEddy

AlEddy

Regular
HI Everyone, hope you are all well?
Just a general question really...
How can i stop my wrists from hurting? I've started training and did 3 hours on my bike on Sunday and my wrists were killing! I can't imagine doing this for longer each day, and everyday for a week! I don't have front suspension (and cant afford a new bike) plus i already have padded gloves. Are there any other tips? Or will the pain ease with more training?

Also, are there any 'must haves' we should take with us?
Im just imagining hoping on my bike and off we go, but any tips on what we shouldn't leave home without would be really helpful!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try bar ends if you have flat bars. They give you more hand positions.

Will you have facilities to clean the bike at the end of the day. Depending upon weather conditions before the rides, canal paths can be very boggy. Also bear in mind clothing and shoes.

I come back looking like a bog monster in just 10 miles of farm lanes and canal paths at this time of year. So glad I bought winter mtb boots.

Are you sitting comfortably? Are you leaning too far forward, seat too high, handlebars too low?

There could be a number of reasons but as above, bar ends will allow you to change hand positions to stave off aches and pains.

Do you know anyone similar in build who's bike you could try?

Ajax Bay

Guru
How can i stop my wrists from hurting?
Try moving your saddle forward a bit. That may seem counter-intuitive but that shifts your support (the saddle contact point) forward more than your CofG and so reduces the weight you are taking through your arms. Ideally with sufficient trunk functional strength, you should be able to ride for a short period with minimal pressure from hands to bars. If this is difficult (ie you can only do it for a few seconds) then set about some exercises to strengthen the muscles you need. This should then help reduce/eliminate the wrist pain. Plus one to ^^^ ref hand positions.
Bit off topic (Touring/expedLiverpool>London) and you may wish to ask this question on a different sub-forum, or even search for other threads which discuss it.

OP
OP
AlEddy

AlEddy

Regular
I would try to get plenty of saddle time in. Getting used to being on a bicycle saddle at first can be uncomfortable. It also can take a little time to get your bike set up like you want it.

I've been upping my saddle time and have noticed my wrists really hurt after long rides - i'm definitely going to get my bike fitted properly as i think this might help!

Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
AlEddy

AlEddy

Regular
I think this is a great idea, I've riden all sections from London to long buckby along the Grand union. For me, it's a fantastic way of seeing loads of different scenery and architecture without being on the road.

A word of caution though, as has been pointed out previously, the tow path can be pretty rough in places, usually once you get away from towns and cities. Also practice mending punctures and minor maintenance as you could end up having to push your bike rather than ride it quite away if you have issues in the more remote areas.

Time wise, I would say about a week should suffice

Training wise, just ride your bike as often as you can, shopping trips, to the pub etc.

As for accommodation, why not camp, that way with care, you can stop pretty much when and where you fancy. I'm lead to believe pub gardens are good for this

Whatever you decide, keep posting your progress and best of luck with the trip.

If it does go ahead in may, you may come across a group of us doing our annual Milton Keynes to birkhampstead canal side pub crawl (we'd even buy you a pint)

Ride to the PUB!! hahaha not sure I'll do that or i wont get home : )

si_c

Guru
I've been upping my saddle time and have noticed my wrists really hurt after long rides - i'm definitely going to get my bike fitted properly as i think this might help!

Thanks for the tip!
Could be that you are putting too much weight through the handlebars, I used to have the same until I disciplined myself to not lean heavily on them. Try holding your weight with your core instead of your hands, and just holding the bars with a light touch.

Ghostrider1

Hello There,
I'm new to this site. I'm planning on doing Liverpool to London via the Canal network as can't climb for toffee. Doing it for charity self supported.
I was just wondering does any one have a GPS of the route. Sounds daft I know ... Get on the canal keep following till canal stops , can't go wrong....etc. I'm looking for when you have to come off the canal at tunnels etc. I did Liverpool to Leeds in one day and had a GPS form someone else who had done it with all the diversions mapped. Same thing would be helpful.
I live quite close Liverpool Leeds canal so was going to start from home to Liverpool Ferry across to the Wirral Wirral way to Ellesmere port and get on the network from the boat museum. on the Shropshire then onto the Grand Union around Birmingham way via Milton Keynes to London. Planning on three days.
Any help??

Top Bottom