Canal towpaths/gravel/grass and MTX bikes - Boardman MTX 8.6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butcherf1988

Regular
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has an MTX bike? What is the difference between that and a hybrid bike? Additionally, does anyone know if the Boardman MTX 8.6 is any good and if it would cope with cycling along canal towpaths, and the odd bit of grass and gravel? I don't really want a full-on mountain bike as I will also want to use it for shopping trips into town by road and some road/village lane cycling. Any comments would be welcome....

Thank you,

Fliss

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a link?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
This is it:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2173-mtx-8.6-black.html

It looks like the old MX model rebranded in line with the new naming structure. Seems a decent enough spec for the money.

Yes, it would cope with all the OP's requirements just fine (I've got the 'old' MX Sport model), although it's debateable if you'd get any real benefit from the front suspension fork to offset the extra weight. One of the rigid (non-suspension fork) hybrid models would cope just fine with towpaths, etc and possible be a bit better mannered on road for those trips to town.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It looks like the equivalent model - I posted the Boardman link as I was having trouble with the Halfords website.

Like I said, I've got the ''old' model and although I don't ride it a lot now (I'm more of a roadie) it never fails to put a smile on my face.

Don't forget that Halfords offer 10% discount to British Cycling members.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure it'll be just fine for your intended use. Heavy at 14kg though, the lockout useful for roads. You might be able to find a better spec in a different brand with some clever shopping for similar money

Typically, a hybrid may have a rigid or suspension fork, flat handlebars, a fairly tall head tube so an upright riding position, 700c wheels and 32mm or wider tyres, usually with a bit of tread

You'll need to investigate mudguard options, the suspension can make it more awkward. Maybe fit a pannier rack for shopping

OP
OP
Butcherf1988

Butcherf1988

Regular
It looks like the equivalent model - I posted the Boardman link as I was having trouble with the Halfords website.

Like I said, I've got the ''old' model and although I don't ride it a lot now (I'm more of a roadie) it never fails to put a smile on my face.

Don't forget that Halfords offer 10% discount to British Cycling members.
I had no idea that Halfords offer 10% discount to British Cycling Members! Thank you for informing me :smile:

Top Bottom