Cancelled flights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just heard from Beautiful Wife that Middle Son's flight from Japan has been cancelled. As he's in Japan this is a problem.

Worse, the company has basically said that it's not their problem; he'll get a partial refund... eventually, but they aren't responsible for helping him get back.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and if this is correct? Can airlines just cancel flights and abandon customers now?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No idea about compensation or refunds but I imagine different countries have different rules depending where he booked. I see in the US it's federal law that airlines must refund for cancellations. Also airlines have varying rules and will probably want to rebook you rather than give a refund.
All sorts of sites on the interweb who calculated compensation but take a hefty fee.
Maybe contact the travel agent and see what they can do.
You need to do some digging Andy.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
It is pretty shocking behaviour but looks to be a thing now. Not great for him or you left worrying about what to to help.
I'd say it depends on T&C , do you have ABTA equivalent body it was booked though if so you could go to them for help?
Or try your consumer rights equivalent they maybe of help.

Drago

Legendary Member
They can be a bit funny about B29 flights ✈️ over their territory...

Seriously though, could well be an issue for Deutsche or Nippon law, or a mix of both.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sadly, and the flight in question is a Korean Airline flying out of Seoul. They are also claiming that they aren't cancelling a flight but they're rescheduling and the connection won't be possible which apparently means it's not their problem.

Oof, stuffed.com !

steverob

Guru
I'm assuming he was flying from Tokyo to Seoul and then from Seoul to Germany? If so, were they two separately purchased flights, or were they part of the same ticket?

If they're on the same ticket, even if they're with different airlines, then whoever you purchased it through still has a legal duty to get you to your final destination (although they have a lot of leeway on how and when). If however it was two tickets purchased separately from each other then your rights are a lot less clear - definitely you'd be entitled to a refund, but they are not mandated to assist with any rebooking.

I'm assuming he was flying from Tokyo to Seoul and then from Seoul to Germany? If so, were they two separately purchased flights, or were they part of the same ticket?

If they're on the same ticket, even if they're with different airlines, then whoever you purchased it through still has a legal duty to get you to your final destination (although they have a lot of leeway on how and when). If however it was two tickets purchased separately from each other then your rights are a lot less clear - definitely you'd be entitled to a refund, but they are not mandated to assist with any rebooking.

All through the same online booking as far as I know. So that means the online company has an obligation to get him back?

steverob

Guru
Only if the online company booked it as one itinerary and not as completely separate tickets. If they did, then the responsibility falls to the airline that issued the ticket (usually the airline that you'd check in with at the start of the first leg of the trip) to get you to the last destination on that ticket.

But if it was two tickets issued, one for each leg, then as far as the first airline is concerned, then they have got him to what they regard as his final destination - e.g. Seoul, at which point their responsibility ends. And the second airline are saying he's not turning up in time to take the flight with them (admittedly because they changed the time of the flight) so all they can do is refund the cost of the flight.

Good luck with getting the booking agency to cough. Check their T&Cs. I suspect you'll have more luck with the airline and the rules in the country it operates.

We're trying to get them to get Middle Son back, because even with a refund that leaves us trying to book tickets and probably pay considerably more to get him on a plane. Unfortunately they're just saying "refund" as if they're doing us a favour.

Alex321

Veteran
We're trying to get them to get Middle Son back, because even with a refund that leaves us trying to book tickets and probably pay considerably more to get him on a plane. Unfortunately they're just saying "refund" as if they're doing us a favour.

If they were booked as separate tickets, then technically, they are. There is nothing in the Montreal convention requiring them to pay out for any rescheduling of the flights, only for delays to the scheduled time.

Which means it is then down to their terms & conditions regarding changes to flight times.

Assuming it is Korean Airlines, their T&C say:
If, after you purchase your Ticket, KAL make a significant change to the scheduled flight time, which is not acceptable to you, and KAL is unable to book you on an alternate flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund in accordance with Article13. 3.

If they were booked as connecting tickets, then different rules apply, and it is their responsibility to get him to his destination.

Top Bottom