English Literature Degree Cancelled

Eng Lit: What Say You

• A tragic day for culture

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Wasterels should at least find a classier uni

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a job

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a useful degree

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Get yourself a trade, son.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So Sheffield Hallam University ( formerly Sheffield City Polytechnic) has cancelled their Eng Lit degree course. What say you?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm, unless they can get 15-20 or more in a classroom, it's not sustainable. We're doing the same unfortunately, as are others.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm not surprised; it's likely to be the Russell Group and the Open University doing English Literature, History, Geography and many other similar courses in the near future.

Like @fossyant 's university it's about numbers (sustainability) plus the need to show career routes and progression to meet government targets, which is then linked to funding. The newer universities just can't sustain small numbers on courses so are heading down the employment-related degree route; basically back to what they were doing as polytechnics pre-1992.

My university is starting to look at a similar approach, Huddersfield University and others have already begun cancelling courses similar to Sheffield Hallam. There will be lots more doing the same.

Son no. 2's off to do History and Politics at Nottingham (hopefully), which I can see becoming a Russell Group-only course in the near future.

fossyant

We've actually just 'paused' a NHS funded course - they couldn't supply the numbers of students to make it worth while. We've got courses that are immensely popular, that we are struggling to staff, so we can't afford to have programs that don't recruit. Courses have to show a number of years of poor recruitment before they get stopped though.

a.twiddler

Veteran
What are their reasons? Not enough applicants? Rationalisation of resources? Sound business practice? A result of having to comply with the Byzantine labyrinth of government targets/quotas? Or is this thread just an excuse to have a go at this particular institution for some reason unknown to the rest of us? Where is the tick box for "I Have No Idea"? My impression (and I am no educationalist) is that in the current climate there are probably more courses available from many educational bodies than potential students following the aversive events of the Covid lockdown(s). So many questions (and question marks). I see some posters have come up with suggestions while I've been blunderingly assembling this reply.

fossyant

What are those? :scratch:

Psychology, Nursing, Law, Accounting etc etc.

fossyant

There lots of factors at play - government/DfE pressures etc, financial viability, recruitment, student feedback and importantly, student graduate outcomes - this is where a student graduates and enters a 'graduate level job' - so a store assistant, for example, isn't a graduate level job, so Universities get penalised, and if we've too many courses with poor outcomes, it's not good.

Top Bottom