English Literature Degree Cancelled

Eng Lit: What Say You

• A tragic day for culture

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Wasterels should at least find a classier uni

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a job

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a useful degree

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Get yourself a trade, son.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
And ursine faeces are found in arboreal areas. Your point?

It’s taught in universities and hardly a pleb degree 😂

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
They're missing a trick.

We're entering a workplace where many jobs will no longer exist. We can't all be the overlords creating the technology.

Critical thinking is more important now than it's ever been and that's the point of studying the humanities.

I agree, but would add that critical thinking is a key skill developed in *all* education, not just humanities. As a humble engineering graduate, your grace.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
But that’s not the reason they are choosing to no longer teach it, is it? It’s lack of interest in the English Lit course from ordinary people.

Not sure TBH, it seems to be at least partly related to government funding being based on utilitarian outcomes, according to government themselves:

Michelle Donelan, the minister for higher and further education, said the government recognised that all subjects, including the arts and humanities, can lead to positive student outcomes. But she added: “Courses that do not lead students on to work or further study fail both the students who pour their time and effort in, and the taxpayer, who picks up a substantial portion of the cost.

But I'm mainly objecting to the sheer snobbery of it. I don't claim to properly understand the funding model.

Reactions: C R

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Have they thought of doing degrees in spelling and grammar?

I've been interviewing graduates over the last few weeks and the state of their CVs - michty me!

mutter, mutter, grumble, when I were a lad.

I do expect realignment every now then and with foreign students intake numbers affecting class quotas. But surprised a core subject such as English Lit dropped in comparison to fringe and marginal courses. Could it be an unexpected faculty staffing issue.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Because they’ve been convinced that it’s neither ‘for them’ or ‘useful’.

I suspect the fact it costs £9k a year in fees is a big factor. If it was free there would be far less pressure from parents and teachers to take “useful degrees”.

I have a BA degree (cost me nothing) it’s not directly connected with my career, but it taught me loads about life, people and how society works.

I also have 2 professional post degree qualifications which are far more valuable career wise, and the skill set i acquired at uni helped with these.

How many graduates immediately end up in a job that’s directly related to their degree? Very few I imagine.

Top Bottom