English Literature Degree Cancelled

Eng Lit: What Say You

• A tragic day for culture

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Wasterels should at least find a classier uni

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a job

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Get a useful degree

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Get yourself a trade, son.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've always thought that English Literature is extremely important to introduce young people to, as part of broadening the mind, learning how to write about feelings, themes etc. But apart from teaching, I've always wondered what you actually do with an English Lit degree? Maybe more people now are opting for degrees that have will broaden their chances of getting a job. I was the same with my degree (sport and exercise science), and I know others who have done psychology and Art...none of whom went into the area they'd studied for becasue they didn't want to teach.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Isn’t this what’s happened since the 1980s. Back then, only around 5% of school leavers went on to university. What’s the percentage now?

Well... yes... that was sort of my point. Clearly, my English writing education was lacking ;)

I am of 1947 vintage, so, was well established in the job market by the 1980s, but, my children, nieces, nephews etc (vintage 1970s) found that a degree wasn't 'enough", they went to post graduate qualifications to make the CV noticeable in the stack of degree qualified CVs.

Incidentally, I didn't do A Levels, or, go to University, my further education was completed whilst working, via day release and OU. Another piece of advice from my parents, which I ignored, sadly.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Isn’t this what’s happened since the 1980s. Back then, only around 5% of school leavers went on to university. What’s the percentage now?

The economy and society have changed radically since.

And AFAICT your figures are very wrong, but it was just a 30 second Google, so I may well be mistaken.

main-qimg-17b036af5c8c82dcbb95b21575fc93a2.png

Attachments

• main-qimg-17b036af5c8c82dcbb95b21575fc93a2.png
    main-qimg-17b036af5c8c82dcbb95b21575fc93a2.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 1

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
No. Do your own homework. Thanks.

So you can‘t say very wrong as you don’t have the figures.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Or my comprehension 😂

Don't want to get drawn into someone else's argument, but, 10 seconds on Google suggests that while your 5% in 1980's may be an understatement, the general trend is very much in line with what you said.

Not really surprising, IMHO, the rates increase from the 60's (when grants were available and general affluence was increasing), and, then, really take off in the 1990's with Tony's "degrees for all".

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 12.22.12.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Lol.

You quoted a figure, you back it up.

As far as I can tell you're factors out.

Ok, well if you look at the number of pupils who obtained 3 or more A levels in the 1980s the highest figure you find is 9.6%. Thus University degrees awarded in 1980s falls at least below that figure. Your 15% is now further away from the figure than the figure I stated.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Don't want to get drawn into someone else's argument, but, 10 seconds on Google suggests that while your 5% in 1980's may be an understatement, the general trend is very much in line with what you said.

Not really surprising, IMHO, the rates increase from the 60's (when grants were available and general affluence was increasing), and, then, really take off in the 1990's with Tony's "degrees for all".

View attachment 650786

I’ll repeat again, higher education in the 1980s is not just degrees. You had HNC, HND etc served up by polytechnics. My post above degrees is below 9.6% in the 1980s.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Though we are getting lost in the weeds with the it’s that percentage or that, both are in the ballpark. You can see between 1980 and 2011 that the number of first degrees being awarded increased five fold. Second degrees has increased more than ten fold in same period.
0885D332-F842-4453-BDA5-5930E17C6D57.jpeg

Top Bottom