Candles on the staircase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Has anyone ever seen that thing where they put candles on the sides of the steps in soap opera partys and magazine interiors supplements to make them look more moody? Does anyone really do this???

I reckon the only possible upshots of this are:

1) The stair carpet catches fire and burns the house down
2) Someone catches fire walking down the stairs and falls down trying to pat themselves out
3) The cat catches fire walking down the stairs and runs into someone elses house (whoever else feeds it) and burns that down instead.

If I knew a friend was using ambient naked flame lighting on their stairs, I'd ring social services to come and take them away and have them put down before they kill someone.

Moody moments, of course, after taking a bath with candles floating upon and around - warming the water and the surrounding tiles, imparting a relaxing glow to the bathee's complexion.

Anyone setting foot into IKEA has bought a sack of tea candles - at least once, if only to keep the 'three plain wooden frames for a quid' packs company in the cupboard...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Candles and cats...not good.

We had a rather large candle holder thingy - it's been put in the roof now, which held 6 church size candles - nice, but no good near kids and cats.

One of our cats walked passed it and 'bumped it' as they do - hot wax dripped onto her fur, and left a bald patch.... fortunately it grew back.

Slowgrind

Went to visit the outlaws in California last year. They had spent a lot of time getting the barn loft ready for our visit, decorating buying new furniture etc. We dropped our luggage off at the barn loft noticing the wonderful array of scented candles burning in each of the rooms and we left them burning to go across to the main house for introductions. Drinks and food followed by hours of family chat led to midnight yawns and time to turn in. Crossing the ranch yard almighty flashes of lightning and thunder rolled over head and we bolted into our apartment noticing the air of wood smoke that seemed to be around, but we put this down to the storm outside. Seconds later we found the smouldering remains of one of the baskets! of candles that been left on our dressing table. It looked like some sort of devil worshipping shrine! and caused some awkward explanations the next day. Since that time we have only ever put candles into the fire grate out of harms way !;)

Bigtallfatbloke

we use candles a lot at home, always responsibly. We have candles on every day on the dining table and the lounge coffee table. At Christmas we have them all ove rth eplace in our collection of wooden German Rauchemanner (smoking dolls), of which we have around a hundred. We also have an open log fire. My son has always been allowed/encouraged to light candles and to respect fire. NOBODY is allowed to leave a candle on in a room that is unoccupied, ever.

I have four treasured candle holders that clip onto a Christmas tree. They take slim candles, which are getting harder and harder to find. The effect as the real candles twinkle in the branches of the tree is magical. The tree of course is a live one, and is on its third Christmas with us.

I'd like to get some more of the candle holders, but they are impossible to find new in this insurance and litigation benighted country.

Brock

We have asbestos stair carpet, 'NO ENTRY - PYROTECHNIC DISPLAY' warning tape and flame retardant spray for the cat. There's nothing like candles on the stairs.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have four treasured candle holders that clip onto a Christmas tree. They take slim candles, which are getting harder and harder to find. The effect as the real candles twinkle in the branches of the tree is magical. The tree of course is a live one, and is on its third Christmas with us.

I'd like to get some more of the candle holders, but they are impossible to find new in this insurance and litigation benighted country.

They are easily available in Germany. My wifes' family always have real candles on the tree. The small candles that go inside are also easy to ge thold of over there. We use them in our wooden decorations. Here is a pic of just a few of our collection:

Slowgrind

A couple of years ago the housing association that I was renovating a block of student flats for, suggested that we install water sprinklers in each of the rooms! Great idea when the guy on the top floor forgets to blow his candle out and everyone living below gets flooded! they love candles and josticks. Still maybe it`s better than burning the house down?;)

Top Bottom