Cannock chase for a novice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick160

I am going to be down in cannock next month with work for a couple of days. I am thinking of taking down the MTB to kill a couple of hours in the evening at Cannock chase. My off road experience is pretty limited, am I going to be biting off more than I can chew?

Cheers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A quick trip on Follow the Dog should let you know.

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/xc/

To be honest it is not that bad, although doing it in the dark first time would make it more interesting. I would stay away from the Monkey for your first go.

In short - no.

I went there with no experience for my first time mountain biking and had a great time. There were about 3 points where I didn't have the confidence to go for it and got off and walked past the obstacle. I won't name them to you as I think it was their reputation that put me off more than anything else!

The follow the dog section is fine - I didn't stop at all on that part, the chase the monkey extension has the trickier parts, but not so much that it's to be avoided.

You'll love it!

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Ride it regularly.
Youll be fine.
I take newbies over all the time and most of them even ride the monkey, in short if sections worry you just get off and walk past at the edge.
As has already been said, ride the dog first then if you find that easy go onto the monkey and try it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's fun riding there! If I remember correctly, all the lumps, jumps and bumps are either avoidable or rollable.
I think the café closes at 17:00 if you want a cuppa after the ride.

OP
OP
mick160

mick160

Ta for the replies. That's made my mind up. ^_^ With the clocks going forward at the end of the month I am hoping to get a couple of hours in during daylight after work!

Levo-Lon

Guru
What everyone has said..follow the dog is fun,the monkey is harder as more climbs and more technical ..

it only gets tough at Cannock when you go faster than your skill level.as i found a few yrs ago on my first trip..
that said the Off i had was legend :laugh:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I ride the Chase pretty regularly as I only live around 20 mins away. I have ridden both the trails (Dog and Monkey) on a 1988 Saracen without suspension. I have seen (and indeed been passed) by cyclo cross bikes and single speeds.

As said, there is nothing bad that doesn't have a bail out on the Dog although the Monkey has a couple of rocky descent sections that you have to ride or walk.

If you are worried by the whole red route thing, there is always the Blue route. This can be longer in distance and takes in some really nice bits of the Chase.

Motozulu

Über Member
Werewolf has got a few stones in front of it now to make you think a bit (just keep your speed up) and the rock stairs on the Monkey (Tom, Dick and Harry) also has a 'silver' or bail out route if you don't fancy em.

Enjoy! Cannock gets a bad rap off some but if you do the Dog+Monkey together (or Donkey as it's known) then you are doing 17 odd miles of quite technical and fairly tough climbing mountain biking! which also has some lovely, fast and swoopy fun bits!

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not many folk seem to know about Stile Cop being nearby. There's fun to be had there, though it seemed quite neglected last time I rode it.

Motozulu

Über Member
It is sort of hidden away Pete. It's a volunteer thing so at times it does look a bit rough and ready but there are usually 2 or 3 runs open and in use. I've recently been told about Stile Cop 'Dark Side' some cheeky runs across from the car park. Due to the bloody weather we haven't looked yet but we will next week some time. I'll report back..

Motozulu

Über Member
The monkey has South Cliff as a finale. One of my favourite bumpy bermy descents anywhere. Fortunately you can climb back up and do it twice.

As others have said, walk the bits you don't fancy, no one's keeping score.

Sorry to be a geeky pedant Cubist but it's actually 'Upper' and 'Lower' cliffs. Lower is most peeps fave as it has had a trail makeover and is bloody fast now - but I also like Upper cliff too - well worth the climbing for the rewards!

Top Bottom