Cannock chase for a novice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It is sort of hidden away Pete. It's a volunteer thing so at times it does look a bit rough and ready but there are usually 2 or 3 runs open and in use. I've recently been told about Stile Cop 'Dark Side' some cheeky runs across from the car park. Due to the bloody weather we haven't looked yet but we will next week some time. I'll report back..
It's one of those places where it's best to roll slowly down the runs to check for obstructions before going at any great speed. (Not that I do 'very fast'..)
Next time I visit the Chase I'll have to explore a bit more.

Motozulu

Über Member
Exactly what I do - I'm no downhilliard so I walk 'em first - in fact I only really do the one red run at Stile Cop - my jumping is pathetic!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sorry to be a geeky pedant Cubist but it's actually 'Upper' and 'Lower' cliffs. Lower is most peeps fave as it has had a trail makeover and is bloody fast now - but I also like Upper cliff too - well worth the climbing for the rewards!
Perhaps I was dreaming of Scarborough......
Shame if it has been made over too much, in a masochistic sort of way I love the extra adrenaline rush the braking bumps at Cannock give you, sending both ends ragged as you try and line up for the corner. It's great on the Mojo, and all colours of skippy on a hardtail!

Motozulu

Über Member
Perhaps I was dreaming of Scarborough......
Shame if it has been made over too much, in a masochistic sort of way I love the extra adrenaline rush the braking bumps at Cannock give you, sending both ends ragged as you try and line up for the corner. It's great on the Mojo, and all colours of skippy on a hardtail!
I and most others I speak to, think they have got it spot on. Now, with most of the trees cut back, you feel you are on a proper cliff - a couple of corners first few times around give you that ball clenching, edge of a big drop, feel that you didn't used to be able to see. It's still great fun, braking bumps are slowly re-appearing (I agree) but it's just faster flowing and 'jumpier'.

I'll get the Go-Pro out next week and post it on here for you and no - it isn't jammed on slo-mo ^_^

Motozulu

Über Member
Said I'd do it! took me time as usual - filming and riding! :rolleyes: as you can see - Upper much more natural feeling with loads of 'rough' bits - Lower just a real fast blast - I love em both, tbf. Excuse the music overlay - I hadn't quite got the Go Pro cinched down tight enough and the rattling was horrendous.

ChrisEyles

Guru
That looks awesome :biggrin: My in-laws live quite close to Cannock, so I've been trying to persuade Mrs Chris to let me stop off there for some play-time next time we go and visit them. I don't think I've ever done any descents quite that long and continuous before though, reckon that would be quite a handful for me on my rigid MTB, especially once numb hands and the death-grip have set in!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
That looks awesome :biggrin: My in-laws live quite close to Cannock, so I've been trying to persuade Mrs Chris to let me stop off there for some play-time next time we go and visit them. I don't think I've ever done any descents quite that long and continuous before though, reckon that would be quite a handful for me on my rigid MTB, especially once numb hands and the death-grip have set in!

Drop me a PM if you ever do. I rattle my way around there on occasion! I tend to follow the dog as I find it a good bit easier on my hands.

image.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the invite @Hugh Manatee - will do if I manage to get my playtime slot, would be great to bounce and rattle our way around together. Nice ride btw - looks even older than mine going from the threaded headset! Love the matching pink (suspension?) stem.

Motozulu

Über Member
Fair play to you lads if you do it on rigids - I've done Follow the Dog on a SS rigid and that was hard enough-I must admit I wouldn't even attempt the cliffs on one.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Great vids @Motozulu. If you hadn't told me that was Cannock I wouldn't have recognised it until the last few hundred yards. And I'd forgotten how good upper cliff was.
Said I'd do it! took me time as usual - filming and riding! :rolleyes: as you can see - Upper much more natural feeling with loads of 'rough' bits - Lower just a real fast blast - I love em both, tbf. Excuse the music overlay - I hadn't quite got the Go Pro cinched down tight enough and the rattling was horrendous.

Top Bottom