cannock chase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_bing

Über Member
just spent the day at cannock chase with some chums. bit of a mission from hertford, but good fun. monkey trail uphill singletrack is the nuts; proper sorts the men from the boys. did the whole trail without pushing up anything. loving the technical descents. gonna go back...

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I used to live near there and all the local athletes use it for training. It is a beautiful area and the swithbacks are good for runners but probably too steep too cycle up.

OP
OP
the_bing

the_bing

Über Member
well then, i'm the bollox cos i rode up everything. :whistle:

it certainly is great training, can't wait to go back. the last bit of 'follow the dog' is a proper hoot....

my thanks to all the guys at chase trails for their hospitality and good trails :becool:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Try the Adder's back climb at Dalby, and any of the three or four switchback climbs on Riggs and Dales. All of them perfectly doable, but you'll need to be in the granny and have an amount of technique to do them!

Zoiders

I used to live near there and all the local athletes use it for training. It is a beautiful area and the swithbacks are good for runners but probably too steep too cycle up.
Every bugger an his dog MTBs on the switch backs and cuttings.

Stupidly steep yes so you may have to shoulder the bike here and there on some technical bits but the descents separate the men from the boys.

Muddy Ground

There's a thing in London for renaming places poshly, if you see what I mean. Battersea is South Chelsea, and Streatham becomes St Reatham. Some guy from around here came back from the Midlands and stated he'd been to Charnook near Wolverhampton.....

MG

Muddy Ground

So we have Charnook and now Ka-nuk. How does a Cannockian pronounce it?

MG

keefus

Is it right that there is a railway station (rugely?) not far from the trailhead? If so how far? I really do fancy travelling from dorsit to 'follow the dog'. ;)

Dave W

Rugely Town Station is only 2.3 miles from the trail start. Well worth a trip over in my opinion.

Zoiders

Is it right that there is a railway station (rugely?) not far from the trailhead? If so how far? I really do fancy travelling from dorsit to 'follow the dog'. ;)
You don't have to follow "The Dog"

You can get on the trails from the Stafford side of the chase as well, it's maybe 5 miles and Staffords on the west coast mainline.

So we have Charnook and now Ka-nuk. How does a Cannockian pronounce it?

MG

When did they learn to talk? :blink:

Did follow the dog tonight, found it quite challenging but good, think I'll try and improve elsewhere on the chase for a bit before going back to it. Are there any trails around that are a step lower than follow the dog?

stoofer34

The right hand side of Sherbrook valley is a easier trail
From The German Cemetery to Stepping Stones tur right for Seven Springs

S

The right hand side of Sherbrook valley is a easier trail
From The German Cemetery to Stepping Stones tur right for Seven Springs

S

That's a bit too easy though, I could do with somewhere in between tbh, or even just as hard as FTD if its got less people on it and I can take my time a bit more.

Top Bottom