cannock chase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave W

That's a bit too easy though, I could do with somewhere in between tbh, or even just as hard as FTD if its got less people on it and I can take my time a bit more.

You can take as much time as you like on FTD.

I never ever rush, I'm there to enjoy the course not race it. I simply pull over and let someone go past if they catch up.

stoofer34

Did a 20 miler over the Chase this morning
Rescued a rider in Abrahams Valley (No Pump)
Some gimp had dug a fire pit in the middle of the Towpath on the way back
Clean over the bars!!!and down the embankment, well nettled and sore ribs!
Ouch!

S

C

chillyuk

Toatally off topic as far as cycling is concerned:

When I was a child back in the 1950's we had a summer house (glorified shed!) at Brocton and I spent many happy hours roaming Cannock Chase. I remember a hill with a big boulder on top and it always puzzled me how they got the boulder up the hill. We used to pass it on the way to and from Brocton from Stafford. Have any of you locals any idea where this hill is. Bearing in mind it was a long time ago, and to a child the hill and boulder would appear bigger than as to an adult so maybe my memory or perception is playing tricks.

Toatally off topic as far as cycling is concerned:

When I was a child back in the 1950's we had a summer house (glorified shed!) at Brocton and I spent many happy hours roaming Cannock Chase. I remember a hill with a big boulder on top and it always puzzled me how they got the boulder up the hill. We used to pass it on the way to and from Brocton from Stafford. Have any of you locals any idea where this hill is. Bearing in mind it was a long time ago, and to a child the hill and boulder would appear bigger than as to an adult so maybe my memory or perception is playing tricks.

Glacial Boulder.

On the way out of Brocton up Chase Road, its on the left more or less at the top. Its still pretty big even as an adult.

C

chillyuk

Thanks all and for the picture links. I guess that must be it, but I don't recall all the fancy bits under the boulder, but as I said it was a long time ago so my memory may not be as good as it was :sad:

homercles

Yep FTD and Monkey Trail combined make for a great ride and a good workout. If you do start from the main forest centre you start on the FTD because the Monkey Trail is on the other side of the railway and main road that divides the chase in 2. It is also worth pointing out that the Monkey Trail is quite a bit more technical and harder going with steeper climbs, lots of switchbacks and some more serious downhills and I have seen many people caught out by this as they assumed it was just an extension of FTD with a similar technical level. Another word of warning is that thanks to the well compacted gravel surface these trails (especially Monkey Trail) are slippery as hell after heavy rain and they can get pretty busy on weekends and summer evenings.

Top Bottom