Cannondale Bad boy 3 vs Cube Attain or other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Formula400

Right so I’ve been commuting on a 10 year old Giant R1 escape and fancy an upgrade. Not on the cycle to work scheme as I have my MTB on it.

I’ve always fancied a Cannondale Bad boy,
My commute is 8 miles of pure london roads. With a few pot holes. Highgate to archway to Tottenham Court Road to green park.

Or should I look at????? Flat bars or drop bars? (I’ll have a small 8ltr rucksack each ride) I have the option to get a new bike with £1000 max to spend, but a road bike vs a hybrid (should I get another hybrid over a pure road bike because of the abuse daily commuting does, and they seem to hold up bettering or sonive)

Cube attain pro 2021 (has mechanical brakes, so another thing to adjust over hydraulic )

Cannondale bad boy 2/3

Whyte Stirling v2

Cube Hyde race (has belt drive and hub gears so changing a tyre at the side of the road is slightly longer)

Cheers

OP
OP
Formula400

Formula400

Sorry I should of added

I don’t want to carry luggage on the bike
I’ll ride to work 2/3 times a week in all weathers
No off road

vickster

Legendary Member
Try them out for yourself and see what you prefer (or get the one in stock in your size)

but if you’ve always wanted a Bad Boy why not just get one if you like it on test ride?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We seem to have had this flat bar road bike discussion on here quite often so worth checking back on previous threads.
As for flat v drops it’s really a personal preference so you’ll need some experience of both to judge. The Attain has Spyre discs which are excellent and you won’t have the complications of fluid to deal with, Vicky has some so she might like to comment.
If you want the ultimate low maintenance commuter the Hyde seems to tick all the boxes and the hub gears can be changed while stationary unlike derailleurs, a boon for stop start London trips. Good puncture proof tyres should minimise stops.
it’s over to you Mr Formula 400 :smile:.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

A mate of mine bought the top spec BB about 5 years ago, never used it even once. It was in my size and I always wanted to get it out for a good ragging, what a waste of a cool bike! Think he has still got it, sat there in pristine condition, all that menacing potential going to waste .....

OP
OP
Formula400

Formula400

@Cycleops i literally have no experience of cable brake’s, do the Cubes brakes have feel of hydraulic brakes, I’ve always had hydraulic and (touch wood) never had an issue. I been looking at the cube for a few years and ready to take the plunge, My only real worry is would it take the abuse of daily commuting???
I like the cube Hyde but never seen a bike with a belt drive,

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Cycleops i literally have no experience of cable brake’s, do the Cubes brakes have feel of hydraulic brakes, I’ve always had hydraulic and (touch wood) never had an issue. I been looking at the cube for a few years and ready to take the plunge, My only real worry is would it take the abuse of daily commuting???
I like the cube Hyde but never seen a bike with a belt drive,

There's no reason to think the Attain is any less capable than any other bike of taking the abuse of commuting.

It has quite beefy (for a road bike) 28mm tyres, which are worth having for urban use.

The geometry is fairly upright - a good choice for a first drop bar bike.

Nothing to worry about with the brakes.

They may require an occasional simple adjustment to take up some play, or you could just yank the lever in a bit further.

Bear in mind people on a cycling forum tend to be more fussy interested in their bikes.

I bet there are lots of Spyre users who don't adjust them from one pad change to the next.

Another benefit of a drop bar bike is you will likely find you go a couple of mph quicker than your flat bar for about the same effort.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
By all accounts Spyres are very good brakes, never heard anything bad about them so I’m sure they won’t disappoint.
There are plenty of people who commute on drop bar derailleur equipped bikes without a problem but they do require regular maintenance. If you want a bulletproof low maintenance bike then the Hyde seems to fit the bill, no oily chain to adjust and gears that will go on for ages with little attention, like the belt drive. It’s really up to you on where your preferences and priorities lay.

vickster

Legendary Member
The advantage of mechanical discs on a road bike is the ability to add crosslever/interrupter brakes on the tops. I like them as it also puts you in a more upright position in traffic. Of course the roadbike purists look down on them and claim they don't work as well as the brifters which is BS imo based on thousands of miles of use on rim and disc brakes (TRP Spyres). Oh and hydraulic brifters are a fugly aesthetic abomination ;)

si_c

Guru
Spyres work very well and are almost the best mechanical disk brakes you can get IMO (the best are the Hy/Rds - but the only difference is that the latter have automatic pad adjustment to save you a quarter turn of a barrel adjuster now and then).

They don't quite have the feel of hydraulics but they never had any difficulty stopping 100kg of me at speed even in the wet.

Top Bottom