Cannondale Drapac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anything more recent than http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cannondale-drapac-riders-awed-fan-support_447201 ?

I see Talansky's retired and I think he may have had one year left on contract (he extended for two years in 2014 and I thought he did again in 2016), I suspect a few other top riders may have done deals elsewhere, which reduces the wage bill a bit, so maybe the numbers are starting to work out again.

I've mixed feelings about the team in Argyle and always have had, but they are one of the teams I'd be sad to see fold.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks. Let's see what tomorrow brings. Bit of a daft comment there about it having primary naming rights: I thought it was well-known that Cannondale were happy to surrender their spot if someone came up with the cash.

Is Slipstream continuing a good thing? On the one hand, it means we still have JV and his apparent support for turning the WorldTour licences into a US-style franchise system. He’s probably right in that teams need multi-year licences and the grand tour revenue needs spreading around a bit more than ASO and RCS currently do, but I don’t think the answer is a system which would basically pull up the ladder and stop any more new teams like Slipstream or Sky entering the competition in the future. Whether you love or hate those teams, they have changed the sport.

On the other hand, I suspect JV would have pushed his preferred US-style franchise idea even more vocally if his team had liquidised. And he might have had more time to do so. So at least this way we get to see some interesting riding and signing tactics from a team that claims to be trying to bring "moneyball" to cycling.

I’ve also still a slightly bad feeling about the way Slipstream seems to have dumped co-founder Millar but I probably don’t know the full story there.

rliu

Veteran
Hope Talansky may reconsider his retirement if Cannondale is saved for next season. He's got a lot of heart as a rider and also definitely in the 'Category B' of climbers capable of taking World Tour stages on his day.

Top Bottom