Cannondale or Specialized or Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewaran

HI All

First post so go easy please!!!

I have recently started commuting by bike (and part train).

I currently do 6 miles each way on an old MTB. I am looking to up my mileage to 15 miles each way and as such get a new road bike.

I have narrowed it down to three bikes approx £600-£700

Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
Specialized Allez sport
Bianchi Via Nirone Mirage

All look OK to me, wondering whether anyone had any opinions

Cheers

Stewaran

beancounter

stewaran said:
HI All

First post so go easy please!!!

I have recently started commuting by bike (and part train).

I currently do 6 miles each way on an old MTB. I am looking to up my mileage to 15 miles each way and as such get a new road bike.

I have narrowed it down to three bikes approx £600-£700

Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
Specialized Allez sport
Bianchi Via Nirone Mirage

All look OK to me, wondering whether anyone had any opinions

Cheers

Stewaran

If it helps, I've got a Cannondale and it's great.

[Cue stampede of Specialized / Bianchi owners saying same thing]

bc

OP
OP
S

stewaran

Thanks, I am limited to Evans Cycles by the company cycle to work scheme
so not sure if i can get a planet x

ill have a look

I have arranged a test ride this thursday for the ones above, should help i suppose

Maz

Guru
Test ride will definitely help make your mind up. Go for a compact if you never need the 'granny' chainring.

Do Bianchi only make minty green coloured bikes? Tell me it 'aint so. xx(

Maz

Guru
Phixion said:
Do compact bikes not have a granny gear or something?
I thought compacts only had 2 chainrings...or am I mistaken?

TBH, any of those bikes is a little too nice for a 6 mile commute. If it doesn't get nicked, it'll get ruined by rubbish roads, spoiled by mudguards, and the skinny wheels will be uncomfortable. I love my road bike, but I don't often commute on it.

Get one by all means, but get another old hack for the commuting, and keep the road bike for best.

EDIT: Just seen that you want to do 15 miles each way. Makes more sense then, but get something that you can put mudguards and a pannier rack on, or you'll be really uncomfortable in winter.

gbb

Legendary Member
They're all fine bikes Stewaran...look at them all, find the one you like, for the best price and go for it.

As beancounter says...we all got our favourites. Mines the Bianchi...had two with no regrets. Lovely bikes.

TBH, if you're starting to consider specific bikes, you need to start comparing specs..what wheelset ? , carbon rear triangle ? etc etc.

OP
OP
S

stewaran

Twenty Inch said:
TBH, any of those bikes is a little too nice for a 6 mile commute. If it doesn't get nicked, it'll get ruined by rubbish roads, spoiled by mudguards, and the skinny wheels will be uncomfortable. I love my road bike, but I don't often commute on it.

Get one by all means, but get another old hack for the commuting, and keep the road bike for best.

EDIT: Just seen that you want to do 15 miles each way. Makes more sense then, but get something that you can put mudguards and a pannier rack on, or you'll be really uncomfortable in winter.

Understand what your saying and before looking into it had set a budget of £400 when i found out i could do cycle to work and get it half price over 12 months decided to go for an upgrade!! as well as new lights helmet etc etc

Also are Blades (mudguards any good

ghitchen

Stick slick tyres and mudguards on the MTB and (possibly) a rear casette with closer ratios and narrower bars, and use it for the winter / wet summer days, then buy a celeste (minty green!) Bianchi for dry summer days and "proper" rides.

Top Bottom