Cannondale synapse sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JT843

Hi

I'm looking for an endurance road bike, and am considering the Cannondale Synapse. I'm not able to try one out (although I understand that ideally, I would try it), so will be buying online, but am looking for some sizing advice.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/endurance/synapse-carbon/synapse-carbon-womens-105

I'm 159cm tall, with a 76cm inseam. At this height on Cannondale's size chart, I'm at the top end of the height range for the 44cm frame, and the low end of the range for the 48cm.

I was set on getting the 44cm, as the length of the reach is similar to that of other bikes I've been comfy on in the past. However, I then spotted that the seat tube is only 37cm, and it made me wonder if I'd struggle to get the saddle high enough while leaving enough seatpost inside the frame. But with the 48cm, I'm not sure if the reach will be too long. It's only a 6mm difference from the 44, and the stack is higher, so maybe it will be fine?

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If the reach is fine, you could always add a longer seatpost if that’s the only concern. The 44 comes with a 300 according to your link, you could get a 350 and get it trimmed by your LBS if needed
Seatpost
Cannondale 3, 6061 Alloy, 25.4 x 300mm (44-51), 350mm (54)

can you go and sit on the bikes to check the sizing? do any local retailers have the bikes in stock?
A local Cannondale dealer is showing no stock of the 44 until Feb :ohmy:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Synapse-Carbon-105-Disc-Womens-Road-Bike-2021/R9CP

Generally it’s better to go smaller than bigger as you can always increase with longer stem or seatpost etc, if the frame is too big, it may never be right

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JT843

If the reach is fine, you could always add a longer seatpost if that’s the only concern. The 44 comes with a 300 according to your link, you could get a 350 and get it trimmed by your LBS if needed
Seatpost
Cannondale 3, 6061 Alloy, 25.4 x 300mm (44-51), 350mm (54)

can you go and sit on the bikes to check the sizing? do any local retailers have the bikes in stock?
A local Cannondale dealer is showing no stock of the 44 until Feb :ohmy:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Synapse-Carbon-105-Disc-Womens-Road-Bike-2021/R9CP

Generally it’s better to go smaller than bigger as you can always increase with longer stem or seatpost etc, if the frame is too big, it may never be right

I rang a few bike shops the other day and none had them in stock unfortunately.

I know what you're saying about getting a longer seatpost, but I think with the smaller frame/seat tube, I'd need as much as 25cm of exposed seatpost to get the right saddle height, which just seems massive. I also wondered if that would put me in a weird position in relation to the bars?

Daninplymouth

I made this mistake with my last cannondale after not seeing the full sizings. I was at the bottom end and it was a nightmare trying to find a comfy position. I sold that and bought a smaller size synapse where now I am mid to upper on the side guide and it’s much better. I think on the whole too cannondale come up quite large for their sizes

Venod

Eh up
I had this problem when I recently bought a Synapse, I am at the top end of 54 and bottom end of 56, normaly I would have gone 54 as has been pointed out its easy to make a small bike fit than a large, but the virtual top tube on the 56 was the same as my most comfortable bike, plus the seat tube on the 54 was IMO too short, I would have had a very long seatpost stuck out of the frame, I did have to put a 10mm shorter stem on as the brake levers are longer than my other bike and the handlebars have 10mm more reach. it is now set the same as my other bike which is a 54.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I rang a few bike shops the other day and none had them in stock unfortunately.

I know what you're saying about getting a longer seatpost, but I think with the smaller frame/seat tube, I'd need as much as 25cm of exposed seatpost to get the right saddle height, which just seems massive. I also wondered if that would put me in a weird position in relation to the bars?
Maybe it’s just not the right geo for you? Look at other brands maybe? Giant, Specialized, Trek, Cube also make good looking WSD roadbikes :okay:

Especially if you may have to wait 6 months for the Cannondale!

Top Bottom