Cannondale v Merida

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
My "problem" is, is that I can get the Merida from a shop in town here but I really like the Cannondale and would get that from the shop I got my MTB from - decisions, decisions lol

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
My "problem" is, is that I can get the Merida from a shop in town here but I really like the Cannondale and would get that from the shop I got my MTB from - decisions, decisions lol

Is the Merida a distance machine or a racer. I chose the AL 105 Disc because it was a more comfortable position for longer rides, and could have guards and racks for commuting and a bit of touring. A more all round machine, not that I profess to know as much as the guys on here.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
basically most manufacturers have three types of bike

Race geometry long top tube, short head tube, which means you are normally lower on the bars more bent over.
TT Bikes - Self explanatory although some manufactures sell only an Aero designed bike
Sportive type bike, shorter top tube and higher head tube more upright position and normally some kind of road smoothing "system"

The sportive type bikes are what was being referred as shopping bikes, not really the case and for people returning back to cycling in their 40's or older after a long break they are a good re-introduction to road bikes.

My first road bike was a Specialized Roubaix probably the most upright of all the Sportive shopping bikes it served me well and over time I have removed spacers and lowered the front end and have now progressed in body size and flexibility to being comfortable on "race" geometry bikes. Three years ago I have no doubt I would have not been comfortable on a racier geometry bike.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
What one do you prefere.

I do prefer the Cannondale but since it`s such a big layout for me (even with the c2w scheme), I thought i`d throw in the Merida which i also like to get a comparison from those who understand the spec better than I. Also, I`m trying to up my average speed to 20mph or more and am not quite sure which bike is best set up for speed - fwiw I`m averaging 18.5 mph on a viking Giro d`Italia!

Peteaud

Veteran
I do prefer the Cannondale

Right then, get that one. ^_^

Nothing wrong with either bike and both are a step up from what you have.

Its a nice looking bike, the stock wheels are ok and the Tiagra 10 speed is reliable.

Personally i like the finish of a Cannondale, the little details etc

cannondale-synapse-tiagra-2014xl.jpg

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I have a Cannondale synape 6 tiagra 2014, had it for about 5 weeks now (over 300 miles on the clock). Its my first road bike and I love it. I upgraded from a hybrid. Iam extremely happy with my purchase. I did want the 105 just for the disc brakes, but so far i have found the rim brakes on the tiagra fine (although I swapped the pads). Since I got it I have fitted a rear rack and a mudguards (I use it every day regardless of weather).

I guess the question you need to answer is what do you use your bike for? Racing, long distance or just as a run around? If you have any Q's about the Cannondale, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Here are a few pics:

10760873733_f51416286a.jpg

11532417026_0c1c1126a2.jpg

11532342295_5fa1bda9d9.jpg

11532394404_246344d61e.jpg

11532403444_7c2e1aee0c.jpg

At the minute, I have various routes between 10 miles and 50 miles and want to up both mileage and speed. The only person I intend to race is myself!

F70100

Who, me ?
Is the Merida a distance machine or a racer. I chose the AL 105 Disc because it was a more comfortable position for longer rides, and could have guards and racks for commuting and a bit of touring. A more all round machine, not that I profess to know as much as the guys on here.
I have a Cannondale synape 6 tiagra 2014, had it for about 5 weeks now (over 300 miles on the clock). Its my first road bike and I love it. I upgraded from a hybrid. Iam extremely happy with my purchase. I did want the 105 just for the disc brakes, but so far i have found the rim brakes on the tiagra fine (although I swapped the pads). Since I got it I have fitted a rear rack and a mudguards (I use it every day regardless of weather).

I guess the question you need to answer is what do you use your bike for? Racing, long distance or just as a run around? If you have any Q's about the Cannondale, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Here are a few pics:

10760873733_f51416286a.jpg

11532417026_0c1c1126a2.jpg

11532342295_5fa1bda9d9.jpg

11532394404_246344d61e.jpg

11532403444_7c2e1aee0c.jpg

Question for the Synapse owners: do you have the rack and mudguards sharing the fitting at the rear hub, and how is the rack secured at the top?

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
My guards were fitted at the shop where I got it from, but fix directly onto the bikes own mudguard holes. I don't have a rack fitted as yet, but think I can say that the top fitting goes directly where the brake calipers would have gone had it not been a disc system. Plenty of clearance.

pclay

Veteran
Question for the Synapse owners: do you have the rack and mudguards sharing the fitting at the rear hub, and how is the rack secured at the top?

The UK Cannondale Synapse does not have rear rack mounts under the seat, but all other Synapses in the world do! An oversight for the UK market perhaps?

Anyway, I have fitted sks raceblades (long) which don't actually require any fixing points on the frame - they attach using elastic bands and cable ties.

I have fitted a Tortec Velocity rear rack using the mounting points down by the rear sprockets, and I purchased a rear rack seat post adapter for the top mounting points. The Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra has a 28.6mm seat post.

Basically, I followed these instructions:
http://cycleconvert.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/tortec-ultralight-rack/comment-page-1/

If I get a chance, I will take an up to date picture of my bike tomorrow and upload it.

F70100

Who, me ?
Thanks Doc & pclay. My confusion stems from the fact that all the pictures I've seen of this bike appear to show a fitting for a rack near the top of the seat stay but the one example I've seen of this bike (in my LBS) doesn't have this.

full66114.gif

Top Bottom