Cannondale vs Orro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
As per above, there's not much to choose between brands in reality.

Better to choose a good shop close by and the most appropriate bike they stock rather than worry too much about a particular brand IMO - unless there's something absolutely unique about your requirements.

Okay, thats useful. Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Okay, thats useful. Thanks.

You need to like the look of the bike, but ride, fit, reliability also crucial.

There are lots of bikes shops in Hants?

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
As per above, there's not much to choose between brands in reality.

Better to choose a good shop close by and the most appropriate bike they stock rather than worry too much about a particular brand IMO - unless there's something absolutely unique about your requirements.

If there isnt much in the brands…does the same apply to things like 22 speed vs 20 speed or the shifters and brakes? Any difference really in Shimano 105 vs Tiagra.

vickster

Legendary Member
If there isnt much in the brands…does the same apply to things like 22 speed vs 20 speed or the shifters and brakes? Any difference really in Shimano 105 vs Tiagra.

Not really no if you’re new to road biking, both are perfectly good, certainly minimal difference 20 vs 22 speed, gear ratios more important

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

IMO next to nothing.

I run Sora 9 speed, 105 11 and Ultegra 11 on different bikes. They are all excellent.

It's a bit nicer as you go up, but a lot more expensive in maintenance if you ride a lot.

Really, anything above Sora is something between "nice to have" and " show off bling". 8 speed and below starts to get gaps between gears which are a bit big even if not a racer. Gear range matters more than number of gears to most riders.

Other opinions are also available!

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
IMO next to nothing.

I run Sora 9 speed, 105 11 and Ultegra 11 on different bikes. They are all excellent.

It's a bit nicer as you go up, but a lot more expensive in maintenance if you ride a lot.

Really, anything above Sora is something between "nice to have" and " show off bling". 8 speed and below starts to get gaps between gears which are a bit big even if not a racer. Gear range matters more than number of gears to most riders.

Other opinions are also available!

Great, thank you. So worth getting carbon over aluminium alloy frame but not to worry about the shifters too much!

vickster

Legendary Member
Great, thank you. So worth getting carbon over aluminium alloy frame but not to worry about the shifters too much!

I like SRAM much more than Shimano but I’m in a minority (just don’t like the wobbly Shimano brake lever, hood shape and size!)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Generally these things go with the budget, with some crossover.

You won't find a carbon bike with Sora, or an aluminium one with Dura-Ace (doubtless someone will come along and prove me wrong).

There might be a bit of cross over, for a given budget you'll either get a carbon frame or next groupset up.

I'd say choose a good shop, set your budget, stick to it (always tempting for a bit of an upgrade) then see what they recommend/what the options are at that price point. £2k will get a great bike, and whether there is relatively more of that money in frame or shifters won't make a great deal of difference!

As I say, though, others may have different opinions.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I second the opinion of the other Roubaix. (we will have to fight to the death one day. There can be only one!)

Manufacturers sizing is quite generic and should be used as a rough guide or estimate that it 'would fit' rather than fit perfectly for you. You might not like the reach or how your body sits on the bike. You might like a more relaxed endurance geometry than the racy one or you might like a smaller more compact frame that feels a bit more fast/agile when it comes to handling and able to feel more tucked in.

You could also have super long arms and a incredibly short torso.... You might end up paying a little more or not end up getting the bike that you want but at least the one you do eventually get will be one that you would have test ridden and feel good on.

Maybe the shop you walk into would be happy to order a bike in for you if you really wanted to try it. Wont know till you ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
Just in case anyone wants some closure…I have gone for the Orro Gold Evo 7200 after trying it in a local bike shop. The medium was too small, so large is on order and should be delivered to the shop later this week. Exciting new bike day coming!

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom